Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curled up upstairs with a unhappy boy who is a bit upset about the fireworks I'm thinking about all the dogs who have suffered living in war zones with unexpected bangs and explosions.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear this

Thunderstorm followed by over an hour of fireworks last night yet hardly a stir.............I mentioned before we played audio CD with firework and other noises from early on to help with this.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
With Epsom downs close by, who have loads of events all year that have fireworks, we started early with a sound affect CD and it worked.

I would guess that the working dogs have the same kind of desensitisation.

Do hope Homer survived the experience okay. I have heard very good things about thunder shirts.

Mandy

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
We nursed our rescue lab Sky through the fireworks last night, they started at 7.30pm and went on past 1 am!
I am going to invest in a thunder shirt I think, my other labs have never bothered about noise.
My brother had a lab from Dogs Trust years ago, she had been brought in by a farmer who had gundogs, he said she was no good to him as she was gunshy, I am glad he did the right thing as some just take them out and shoot the dogs.
I think they must have extra sensitive hearing and its that what causes their stress as they don't know about fireworks etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get the fireworks CD. He was fine last year at 7 months old but hates the bangs now. He may well have sensitive gearing as is not fond of being in pubs when they get noisy even though we have taken him with us since he was young.
We met up with a friend today who said her spaniel wasn't bothered by fireworks because she (the spaniel) was a gun dog, I let this comment go as I wasn't up for an argument of any kind.

I do feel for all those dogs who lived through bombings like the Blitz and other areas like Syria and Afghanistan nowadays, where not only is there bombings and gunfire but when the humans themselves are scared and anxious and there is little escape.

I presume dogs in the armed services are carefully desensitised to the noise.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Mine are ok with bangs whether in the garden, on walks or in the house. I never take it for granted though and plan to be home whenever I know bangs are likely, 8pm and then midnight-?? (fell asleep to them!) last night.

Military dogs are very special pups who are trained and de-sensitised to a lot. Dogs are going to suffer similar post-traumatic stress that humans do in war, fire, flood etc though. Tucker's reactions whenever a smoke alarm or similar beeps show that he remembers the day he encountered smoke in our conservatory and I picked him up from his crouched, scared belly retreating backwards position in the kitchen and rushed him through the smoke to fling him out the back door to safety. Dogs won't forget trauma and are right to be wary of bangs in general - those that aren't tend to have it associated with good things in their brains and long may that continue for them!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure that if a bang meant that there was something to retrieve he would be quite happy. Something fir us to work towards.

Poor tucker, he must have been so scared. They never forget do they, the good or the bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts