Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted a 2yr labrador. We have no information on his background other than is date of birth is down as 09/11/2014, and the breeder was from around the Doncaster area. He is a chocolate labrador, with an athletic build so I'm guessing from working dog lines rather than show lines.

Can anyone help me look for a needle in a haystack?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If he was a rescue then I think it probably will be looking for a needle in a haystack:(.

I think it would be very unlikely there will be pedigree papers if they were not offered at time of adoption.

Good Luck - x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping there might be a database of kc registered pups, but I guess not all labs come from established breeders.
He was rehomed through a labrador rescue due to his owners ill health, so no papers or vaccination details were handed in.

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
I was hoping there might be a database of kc registered pups
There is, but when you think there are around 40000 Labrador pups born every year you can start to appreciate the problem. All pups, whether from established breeders or not, provided they are from registered parents can be registered with the KC. The KC database is accessed via registered name or registration number so without them you are lost. Do you know anything at all about the history of your dog? Name of a parent and date of birth for instance? I might at least be able to trace the litter from that. Date of birth alone is not enough because the database does not allow you to search by that.

Regards, John

·
Registered
224 Posts
My Mason was chipped by the breeder so his chip number is registered against his KC name Liskoney Hero.

Its a long shot but if he's chipped his records might have his pedigree name.

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
You cant search the KC database by chip number, but if you know who the chip is registered with you "May" be able to get some more info. Whether they will give you the info or not is debatable, because unless you have registered a change of ownership with the chip company you will not be listed as the registered owner so the data protection act may come into play.

Regards, John

·
Registered
224 Posts
Petlog allows re-homing organisations to change ownership so you might want to check with the rescue you got him from. They might be able to help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have date of birth, the chip details are registered in pets name only, I guess we weren't given any previous owner details due to confidentiality reasons.
I have sent off the change of ownership details for the microchip now with the covering letter from the rescue.

My previous rescue lab had his chip details registered in his kennel name so he was easy to trace.

Oh well, not to worry.

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
I asked a friend who also runs a rescue, and the chip procedure you outline is the same as the way she handles it. In fact many rescues are reluctant to give too much info about the dog because of the possibility of the adoptee actually adopting simply to use the dog for breeding purposes. (This applies particularly to bitches of course. This makes a nice cheap source of a brood bitch to be used literally as a breeding machine. There are some not very nice people around I'm afraid.) Sorry but it's a complete dead end. There is simply nothing which would allow us to take it further.

Regards, John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts