Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Mario is still being a really good boy and is looking forward to his second injection tomorrow :roll: !

It's not an immediate problem but with the way he is growing so fast, I want to sort this out sooner rather than later. Our fence in the garden is tall enough not to worry about Mario jumping over it. However, my neighbours fence is quite short and I can see there will be problems with Mario escaping within a few months.

The neighbours are tenants and they don't speak very good English otherwise I'd just ask them. The owner is not around save for the odd visit. Would we be within our rights (as owners of our property) to put up our own fence within our garden (i.e. not on their property at all?) I'm not talking about anything massive, just a bog standard, dog proof height fence?!

Shall I just go ahead and do it :roll:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lucy and Mario

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Lucy,

I think I might be right in saying that unless there is any local ruling OR restriction in either house's deeds, then you should be able to put a reasonable fence up on your side of their existing one........( if exsisting one belongs to them you can't touch it ) bearing in mind height and not cutting light away from neighbours etc......

If the existing one is of a suitable height already and you just want a solid dog proof one, I can't see a prob........

Maybe someone else on here has had similiar prob?.....

In any event a quick call to CAB might be best just to cover yourself, free, easy, helpful and quick !

·
Administrator
20,783 Posts
As I understand it, you are responsible for keeping your dog in rather than your neighbours being responsible for keeping yours out. With farm animals I believe the opposite applies!

If the fence is yours then I believe you can erect a fence of up to 6 ft (I may be wrong about that!!!) but the flat side must be facing your neighbour and the posts on your side. If the fence is NOT yours then you can still put one up but it MUST stand on your property.

I'm not sure but it could be that your neighbour has the right to tell you to remove the fence so they can do maintenance work on their fence! The best line of approach is to have a word with the Citizens Advice people. Their lawyers will be able to tell you what your options are.

Regards, John

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a similar problem in my last house, our neighbours fence was very badly maintained and had holes in it, and in some places wasn't very high as the top had broken off. Toby my first lab forced his way through into next doors garden. They refused to have the fence repaired and and their side gate was frequently open so he could of got out onto the road.

I wasn't prepared to risk Toby getting run over so we put a fence up on our side running directly up against theirs, and never had any problems. Rhoni's right though you probably should check with the CAB just to confirm.

Pleased to say have lovely neighbours now! & in process of buying a house in Wales which has a lovely walled garden!

S

·
0 Posts
Working for a construction company who builds houses I would suggest your first port of call be the planning department of your local council. They will tell you the height restrictions and also the best course to take.

Then you need to contact the owners of the property - you might find that they would prefer a higher fence and might take their present out and you could both chip in towards a new fence.

Sam

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replies .... certainly inspired me to get it done now and stop worrying!

Lucy and Mario :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts