Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got Merlin's renewal quote in. I will be paying £32 a month for Merlin (and that is with a £12 multipet discount!) and Cadbury will be £35.

They are covered for life, but the payout for a condition per year is only £4,000, which sounds a lot, but not when you realise it cost my friend £5,000 to fix her little terrier's ligament/knee issues.

My excess is £100.

I went on Compare the Market to browse other providers and I could find one that charged £16 a month for lifetime cover with a payout total of £7,500. If I go up to £18 I can get £12,000 worth of cover!

So now I am feeling really diddled, but I'm worried about changing. Neither of my boys have pre-existing conditions. They are with Petplan, but I seem to be paying an awful lot for what I am getting :?

Would you change?

·
Premium Member
11,582 Posts
If its any consolation Sophie most Vets recommend Pet Plan insurance.We have shopped around for other insurance this year.We were with John Lewis.It appears most insurers have really put up their fees.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Many insurers will start you off nice and low. Then bump the price after a claim.

I work for PP and yes they are expensive but the won't raise your premiums if you claim. The have alot of coverage and are respected by vets.

That said its a case cost vs risk. Pp are stable but prices will rise. Some insurers raise prices year on year by a big amount and may not be market viable in a few years meaning loss of insurance

I'll say what I say to any customer calling up to ask weigh up the cost vs cover and risk then if its better for you and your pet. Make a decision based on that fact. But do check the terms of cover and what you get for that low price.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm with PetPlan for Lilly, I'm currently paying £25 a month for £7,000 of cover on the cover 4 life, I did have to claim recently for Lilly's Parvo. I'm waiting on the cheque to arrive for the payout.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I made the call to change with Luna was paying too much for rubbish cover, I knew her elbows would be a pre-existing condition but the cover I had wouldn't have actually paid out for them had I continued because it was a per condition policy. Was the right decision.

If the boys have no pre-existing conditions then personally I research and find the best cover with a reputable company I could.

When the John Lewis renewals start arriving in June for these 2 I shall be tied in with Luna whatever the premium but Tucker is fair game for switching...

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I'm sorry but I have not seen any evidence that Pet Plans premiums do not increase at similar rate to others taking into account claims area and age.
They are an insurance company afterall and on the same band wagon as all the others, nothing in this life comes without paying premium rate [ask the poor sods who have been flooded out this last couple of months :( ]

June

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh pp premiums can increase yearly don't doubt that. And there's no denying its a premium insurer with prices on the higher end.

But they 100% don't raise premiums because of any claims you make that I can assure you.

I've seen many companies raise premiums after a claim by upwards of 15 quid a month. Tescos did it to me and refused hydro for my last lab because he hadn't had an op.. didn't matter that the vet recommended it. They just out and out refused.

Like I said. All insurance is about risk. Risk from the companies point and risk in that if you choose a company. Once you claim for a lifetime condition you going to be stuck with em.

If you are going to swap please just make sure of all the terms of the new insurer and make sure the underwriters are a stable large company.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Funny enough I came here tonight intending to post about Frank's renewal.
We have had a mahoosive jump from £32 to £56 with MoreThan. I was horrified when it came through - The policy we had with Frank was largely due to the fact he was our first full-breed lab and I bought the insurance the night I read Wendy's blog about her dog's hips!!! :lol: Knowing he was a young dog from a puppyfarm background I wanted to be sure we'd be covered for any hip/elbow issues and so I made sure we had a belts and braces policy with lifetime cover.

However, we have had this policy since 2010 and the ONLY time we have EVER claimed is when Frank had his dermatitis episode last year. They paid out over £500, fair do's but given the amount of things we have paid for with Frank (car accident, several repeats of anal glands being flushed with A/B's, several repeats of ears being flushed with ab's etc etc) we could have claimed a lot more over the life of the policy. In addition, we have only just put in the claim for his eye op before Christmas and they quoted for the renewal before knowing this!

I rang More-Than and was on hold for 32 minutes before getting through. The advisor I spoke to told me they were certain they could reduce the cost of the renewal and thanked me for the opportunity to provide a more competitive quote. She put me on hold for another 2 minutes and then came back with "Im sorry, we cannot improve on this quote."

I cancelled it, went on a compare website and I got a new lifetime policy for Frank with identical lifetime cover (identical excess but MORE payment back in the event of death through illness or injury) .... for £33 a month.

Yep. £1 more than we were paying already.

So it is deffo worth shopping around!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lilly's renewal with Pet Plan isn't up until July but I will be looking at any rise and the fact that I have had to claim, thankfully my vet doesn't charge an arm and a leg so I only had to claim under £500 for her Parvo treatment.

I did have a problem with Royal Fail (Mail) loosing Lilly's claim form but my vets faxed the claim form to Pet Plan who recieved it and closed the claim within 2 days! I am still waiting for the cheque to arrive but I am pleased with the level of customer service I have recieved from Pet Plan, I have never had to wait longer than 3-4 mins to speak to someone about my claim.

As I said I don't know about the renewal as Lilly's isn't due till July.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jane -Why have you not ever claimed for the things you paid for. You pay indurance for a reason. Please say you declared them when you took new cover as it may cause issues for any future claims

Anything that arises from these previous things. And I mean ANYTHING an insurance company can link back to undeclared conditions will never be covered in future unless specifically agreed by the new insurers.

Dermatitis for example can cause exclusions against almost any skin condition or wound healing issue now.

Not enough info is given to folk about swapping pet insurance its an isdue catching lots of people out unfairly in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
MaxsDad - in your opinion where would I stand with Judy and my insurer as I havent claimed anything for my dogs ED and currently she isnt having an op?

Obviously its a matter of record with the vet now but we havent claimed a penny
The policy (with a company who claims to be our dogs best Friend) expires last day of this month and I need to renew.
Whats best way forward - declare condition for open market quotes or stay silent, get best insurance and lifetime cover etc?

Its a minefield and dont get me wrong the dog comes first and not some Risk Analyst but just wondered your take as an insider so to speak

Any advice gratefully recived

·
Registered
98 Posts
To be frank your stuck with whoever you are with now my friend. If you hold a lifetime cover type then it will stand for future issues and cover existing since policy inception.

I can pretty much guarantee no insurance will offer you new cover without exclusions for lameness. ED and arthritis in at least the forelimbs

Any change of insurance policy or company would require you to declare any and all previous conditions. And because judy has shown signs of ED/lameness. Even though no op has taken place. She is now a huge risk to any potential Insurer.

You literally cant hide anything as any claims in future would require a full vet history to be sent and things will be flagged up.

If when you take new insurance you knowingly withhold information its fraud which carries a huge fine.

People think swapping each year is easy. And it is providing the pet has not shown signs of illness during the prior year. But any conditions that are pre existing basically tie you in to the insurer if you want ongoing cover without issues.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news. Pm me if you need more detailed info or advice. I've just completed my small animal underwriting course so its all fresh in the old noggin

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
As I suspected.....

In that case I am deffo going to claim for the vet fees and hydro we have paid out for to date before the policy expires next Friday!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your responses, gives me plenty to think over :wink:
Maybe it would be worth giving Petplan a ring and see if I could increase my cover without adding a heck of a lot to my premium.

After looking back at the cheaper ones I noticed though the excess was lower they wanted you to also pay 10% of the total, so that could get quite expensive!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Oooops sorry Sophie really BAD punctuation! Should have been:

I've PM'd you DJGoody.

Good luck Sophie!!!

Soooorrrrrreeeeee!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts