Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Milo to the vets today with a suspected ear infection (he's had one before and it looked exactly the same!) - after confirming it was an infection we were ushered back out to reception and charged £76!!

Our vets don't give itemised receipts, so when we got back I had a look online, and was horrified to see you can buy the exact same antibacterial eardrops for £12 and cleaning drops for £5 😮😭 so I've essentially paid £59 for the vet to spend 2 mins looking in his ear with a torch! Argh!

My question is, now that I know I can get the drops cheap online, is it inappropriate for me to keep some in the cupboard and next time just take him to the vets to confirm it is an infection, and not pay their extortionate prices for the drops? Or is that really rude? She made a point of saying now he's had 2 at 9 months old, he'll probably get them fairly often, and I can't afford £70 each time!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Some dogs get ear infections quite often but in some cases there's a reason for that. Barney used to get ear infections quite often - it changed when we changed his food into wheat free one. Vets used to say he shouldn't swim, shouldn't walk in rain etc but when we changed his food he's swimming quite often, we're going for long walks no matter what weather there is & his ears are clear.
What are feeding Milo with?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes she told us to stop the swimming, but he doesn't go very often, maybe once a month - he does like diving in though so must get loads of water in his ears.
I brought up the food thing with her - he's on royal canin lab puppy food at the moment - which was on vets recommendation! He's doing well on it otherwise and as we still have 15kg+ I'm reluctant to change just yet. She said if it continues we can switch to a sensitive food (which surprise surprise we'd be expected to buy from them!)
We're not going to go swimming for a while and see what happens, I was just interested to see what people thought about buying the drops online rather than from the vets?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I've got drops form vetuk.co.uk but as we sorted Barney's problem with ears infections we don't need them. I think I have to get rid of them as they weren't needed for at least a year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi, we're probably similar in that a first visit to our vet with an ear infection for Max costs us £69; which is £36 initial consultation and £33 14ml Otomax drops.

I have looked online and I think Otomax is prescription drops, with our vet that would be £13 for the prescription and then get the drops, but at the point we notice his ear symptoms start, the infection is already well under way and I wouldn't want to wait for drops.

I might have a chat with our vet about getting a prescription to have some drops on standby as we know what to look for know - to at least try for two weeks and then see him to check it has cleared up.

I'm guessing he might say always to see him first as you don't want to mess around with their ears if you aren't sure.

He thinks ours is due to an underlying allergy, and we already have Max on grain free food. I wonder about pollen, or house dust mites, so have been religiously washing his bedding each week at 60 degrees to help with what I can. He has no skin symptoms, so our vet has not suggested allergy testing, just manage ear infections as and when for now, and as his ears clear up between episodes, he has not recommended cleaning to prevent.

?

·
0 Posts
I keep eye drops, ear cleaner, ear drops and Thornit (old fashioned ear remedy) in my doggy first aid kit all the time, as you never know when you're going to need it. I pretty much self treat my dogs and cats for most things, unless it's an emergency or I really can't fix the problem.

When you've run out of the RC, I'd try him on a grain free food, as ear problems are often linked to grain intolerances. There are loads about these days. You really don't have to be buying special food from these days in most cases. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts