Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 11 week old pup is on Arden grange food and by the feeding guidelines he gets 350gms split into four meals a day. The feeding guidelines say to reduce this to 260gms once he reaches 12 weeks. It's been a fair few years since I had a pup but can't remember reducing food down as they got older. I am back at vets in two weeks for second injections but wondered if anyone else had done this

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Ummmmm! OK I can kind of half see what they are saying here..... that the puppy is through that first inital incrediable fast growth stage so might need a little less for a while.... but to be honest I've never seen any food ask that it is CUT at that stage...

I would say for 11 weeks 340gms a day is quite a bit.... not staggeringly so, but a fair bit.... Personally I would probably drop to about 300gms over your 4 feeds till about 16 weeks, and then up to about 350gms over 3 meal from then.

Personally I'd ignore the dropping down advice, thats all rather odd!!

Di

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diana

I must admit I thought it was odd myself, and the 340gms did seem a fair bit, I'll try 300 for the next few weeks. He's a chunky monkey as it is so don't want to be over feeding. He weighs 7kgs now.

Thanks
Rachel

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
To be honest Hun, a sort of rough average is about a kg per week of ago so he isn't by any means heavy... So just half bear that in mind 😊😊

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Seems quite a decrease in suggested amount for that age - would he perhaps be expected to fall into a higher weight bracket at 12 weeks, which would mean more suggested food? I definitely haven't decreased food for either of my rescue pups at such a young age.

?

·
0 Posts
I've never followed any Feeding Guide when feeding mine. I just go by eye. If they look a bit lean, I feed them more, if they look a bit too plump, I feed them less. I can't think I've ever reduced a pups food just because it's reached a certain age, either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts