Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I previously posted about changing Sonny's food to Eden but at the moment I've stuck with his Royal Canin Labrador Junior which he's been on from the Breeder.

I don't feel I've upped his food size all that much since I got him like 9weeks ago. Originally at 8weeks he was getting 70grams 4x a day so 280grams. It was upped to 80grams after his 12 weeks. And I kept him on 4 meals a day even up to 16 weeks with 85grams.

He's 17weeks today and He's getting 340grams over 3 meals a day. I realise it's based on his size and I feel he's a good size where I can feel his ribs but can't see them and I can till see his waist.

Do I pretty much just keep increasing the food every other day unitll I see body change that I don't want or what?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
He is growing so fast, I genuinely don't think you should be thinking too much about his body shape at the moment. 340gms of any good food at 17 weeks sounds about right over 3 meals. Just go by his poo. if its loose, cut his food down a bit, but if it plenty firm enough to pick up in a poo bag then he's probably on the right amount.

I would keep him on that amount for a few more weeks yet. At about 6 months i'd probably take him to 2 meals and raise him to about 400gms and then stay there for the rest of his life... give or take!

Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thing is, he's shooting up, one week he will look leggy and skinny and the urge will be to give him more... he will then probably only get the squits ;-) Then a week later he evens off and almost looks podgy again whilst he body takes a short growth breather.... etc etc.

Di

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also meant to say he was 14.2kg on Saturday.

Is there any advantage to moving from 4 meals to 3 to 2 meals ?

Like I kept him on 4 meals a day until 16 weeks and it was a nice routine for him. Now he's on 3 meals eating around 25-30grams per meal.

Is it just a simple matter of keeping him feeling full as they grow?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Its all totally what suits you. The longerthey sit on multiple meals the harder it will be to wean them off them... And its easy when its split four ways to overfeed with a sprinkle more here, and a sprinkle more there 😉😉

but it is genuinely up to you. Like most things there's no rule, only a guide.

di

1 - 6 of 6 Posts