Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Milo has quite a bit of discharge in the eyes and the right hand eye appears to be quite red too. We're wiping them with clean damp cotton pads but wondered if there was anything else we could do whilst we wait to get to the vets next week ?

·
Administrator
20,780 Posts
Obviously I must say get to the vet now if at all possible. Eyes are too delicate to mess with! But this is weekend and unfortunatly it is not always possible. As a standby I would go to a chemist, (Boots stock it) and get some Brolene. It comes in ointment or eye drops but I prefer the drops. I have used it on my dogs as an emergancy treatment. Failing this, cold weak tea is good or a very weak salt water bathe

Please dont take chances and regard this as just a stopgap measure

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi john...

This is the second time i'm coming cross your advise of cold weak tea.... cud you plz tell me how wud tea help and secondly do you use it to wipe the eyes or use it as drops...

Thanks.....

·
Administrator
20,780 Posts
Don't ask me about it's healing properties Vidhya, I've not got a clue! It's a very old home cure thing which has been around since before I was born. All I can tell you is that as a child this was the usual if I got an inflamed eye so I'm talking from personal experience!! :)

Some "Old Wives Tales" are just that, but some really are useful and this one falls into the second catagory.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
John i completely trust "Old wives tales"... more relaible then the ones you get from stores.... :D ....

John plz tell me do you use the tea as drops or eye wash.....

(you cannot escape from me...i'll always follow you :wink: ....are you getting the pup home next week)

·
Administrator
20,780 Posts
All I do is pour some into a cup (no milk or sugar :wink: ) and dip a small piece of "Kitchen Roll" (The absorbent paper) into it then squeeze in to drop a spot into the eye. I then use the same piece to mop up any surplus. Always use a separate piece for each eye, that way you do not spread the infection to the other eye.

I'm collecting the puppy on Tuesday Vidhya, not long now!

Best wishes, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
JOHNNNN thats great news...Finally she arrives on Tuesday :D .... I want to know EVERYTHING..... every minute detail..... :D

John i'm planning to note all the points i learnt here in a book....Lost so many god tips when the site crashed.... i know you'd be busy after the pup arrives... but plz do find time to sort our problems :wink: .....

Thanks for the tea advise....BTW out here "old wives tale" keep cold tea bags over your eyes and rest for 5 minutes...It takes out all stress and add sparkle to your eyes.... mez been 2 lazy to try it but heard it does work... :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Lab has the same thing. We are putting eye drops with anti-biotics so it has helped some. The vet didn't know what exactly it was, but a friend of mine told that it was a yeast infection that dogs get. Our dog is now getting flaky skin and has an odor to him, even after we bath him. I don't know of any cure for this right now, but I am going to take my dog to a different vet, just to see if he knows what it is, and how to treat it.

·
Administrator
20,780 Posts
The flaky skin is possibly nothing but I would be wanting a full blood check for Thyroid problems. I'm not trying to worry you because as I said, it's possibly nothing but this would just rule out a potentially serious problem. Another test is a skin scrape for Sarcoptic mange. Often picked up from areas around where Foxes have been. If this is the case it’s relativly easy to clear up.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi john...

I just read another post and ozzy has distemper.....Hope he recovers soon....

Today is TUESDAY :D .... we will be waiting here :D

Good Luck

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
hello

My lab had the same problem with her eye a couple of weeks ago,soon after a play session in the garden , i kept an eye on it because of the discharge which was a mucky grey in colour and then took her to the vet, who gave her some eye drops called maxitrol, i had to administer them four times a day which was quite hard to do, but within two days there was a vast improvement, but i kept the treatment going for the full week.

The eyes are so important, so take her to the vet if you are at all unsure. lol :)

Hope things improve for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts