Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy has always slobbered a bit - not around food, but when we go for exciting walks, usually to the woods. First she foams at the mouth, then she generates several huge dangly threads of saliva which would put a St Bernard to shame. We're talking several inches long. Then of course she usually drapes the drool on the head of unsuspecting dogs or owners. The thing is I never see other Labradors with this (or any dogs for that matter!). I don't think it's a health issue and her teeth are fine. I just wondered if it's only my dog that does it so much??

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I haven't a clue as to whether most labs slobber. I know mine don't do it.

The only time Roxy used to slobber excessively was when we would go in the car the stress would make her produce loads. It would hang in long strings from her mouth. I would feel awful for her that she was so frightened. She has become a better traveller but still not a good one. Now she will only slobber occasionally right before she is about to be sick in the car.
I can't recall ever seeing Buster slobber. Maybe some just do and others don't. If she is happy and well it must just be part of what makes Poppy, Poppy.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Monty is also a champion slobberer when running around and playing. If often ends up all over his own back as he runs - or as you say, onto other dogs :lol:
And Monty's drools seem to be much more gooey than Guinness' - I reckon Monty's slobbers could be used for wallpaper paste :roll:

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Tucker slobbers occasionally on walks, Luna slobbers great big goops on walks!

I have studied Luna's goop for about 5 years now. She is goopier than normal when she finds VERY GOOD sniffs and spends a lot of time sniffling the good sniffs.

Both dogs slobber and foam when going for a walk without being well-hydrated ie straight after getting up in the morning.

Nothing to worry about - just wear gloves :wink:

Oh and never give your dog a jelly bean to chomp when travelling through passport control back into the UK from Europe... the thought Rabies would not be far from anyone seeing your dog :wink:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pepper is a slobberer!

She lets long threads drop as she patiently waits for her breakfast or dinner and froths at the mouth on walks.

I thought this was puppy stuff - guess not!

I giggled at the jellybean incident Laura!

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cooper does it too when he's finding exciting smells when we're out and about. You can see it foam, bubble up and then drip in long strips of slob... he then either wipes on me, another dog or shakes his head around so his face ends up covered with big white strips. yuk! :lol:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phew, it's not just Pops then. I have to admit sometimes I cringe when she bounds over to say hello to someone and they politely pat her on the head as she flings her slobber over their legs... :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I've been back from the woods about 10 minutes and was considering posting the same thing. It is the only place Coco does the sticky drooling thing. she gets one at each side of her mouth, 4-8" long and as sticky as glue. It never seems to drop off either and I usually end up with it all over her face or my leg. Yuck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slobbering When Walking

Loopy Lou, our Alfie does the same, and can be imbarrassing when we walk and meet other dog walkers, as Alfie thinks he is a greeter to all and they usually end up with it in their hands or legs, even had one guy get it on his face as Alfie shook right beside him! Urghhhhh! Luckily the guy loved Alfie and just laughed it off as I handed him a tissue( don't go walking without a few in my pocket) 8)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Cassie is another dribbler - I carry tissues to wipe her down - dirty beast! She is also bad when there is food around - leaks like a tap.

I took her to the vet the other day as she suffers a terribly itchy chin but afterwards I have come to the conclusion it is all the dried dribble that is causing her to itch so now am giving her face a wash a couple of times a day. It is seeming to help (the Fuciderm didn't do anything to help) or at least she isn't so desperately itchy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Choccylabfamily,
Alfie doesn't have it to that extreme, he does really dribble but he mostly shakes it off or it drops off on wiped onto another dog walker! haha

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
My dogs have never slobbered, but they have had loads of pals that have :lol:

I've always said to other dog owners when they were all of an "embarrassed panic" about flying slob, "don't worry, it's only dog spit, when it dries I can brush it off!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: (I was trying to be nice, they thought I didn't wash!!! :wink: )

Chel and Dilys xxx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts