1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I've had 2 scans, day 30 & day 40,
Day 30 showed 2 puppies , day 40 shows just 1. She's at day 49 today
Both the breeder & scanning people are telling me to not to over feed. They also say not to feed any puppy food.
Their reason is that it will allow the puppy to grow too big & will result in a difficult birth.
Can anyone that has knowledge regarding this situation, please advise ??
Many Thanks
Molly

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
Their reason is that it will allow the puppy to grow too big & will result in a difficult birth.
Hello Molly. Yes, this can be a problem with a singleton which can result in the bitch having to have a caesarean. Happened twice with a friend of mine. Also dont allow the bitch to go too far past the due date before seeking veterinary help. With the first singleton my friend's vet was reluctant to do anything even though the bitch was 4 days past the due date. When he did finally do something the pup was stillborn. The second time the vet did take notice and my friend did finally get her pup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, Many thanks for your reply.
I can understand that giving extra food could make the puppy bigger, everything I've read says that the puppy food in the last few weeks of pregnancy is for the bitch , to make sure she's in tip top condition. I had changed over to 50% puppy food & 50% normal, without any increase in the portions. Now just back to 100% normal dog food & portions the same as before pregnancy, split into 4 times a day.
She's really hungry though !!!
I'm getting mixed recommendations to what she should be on ?

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
It's the puppies taking their "food" from the bitch which pulls her down. A friend's bitch has just given birth to 11 pups, so you can imagine how much they take from the bitch both before birth and after. But with just one pup, assuming the scanner is correct, the bitch really does not need much more than normal food, possibly just a little more than usual. But this extra will need to continue after the pup is born, because she has to produce milk to feed the pup, in fact likely more milk than a single pup will need.

So with a single pup you "may" have problems after the pup is born. Bitches are equipped to feed several pups, but with only one pup the risk is mastitis. Usually these days vets prescribe antibiotics for this, but with the bitch feeding the pup the AB's will also be taken up by the pup through the milk, so the usual advice is to not allow the pup to suckle, and to hand feed. But hopefully you will be well along the line by then and almost ready to start weaning the pup off her.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
A good friend had a litter recently, they were 8 days premature and the first puppy out was 424g. There were 13 in total (maiden litter) and they literally sucked the life out of her, she was so skinny and poorly, she managed to whelp 5 naturally but then they had to do an emergency c-section. Since then, I had a chat with a friend of a friend, he happens to be a farmer and breeds cattle. He asked whether we'd cut the bitches food for the last two weeks and of course I said I didn't think the breeder had, as it's recommended so often to increase feed, switch to puppy food etc, and he said that's where the mistake was. In cattle, apparently, they downgrade the fodder for the last couple of months before calving, as the increased nutrients makes for much larger calves and increases the probability of a c-section being required. Unfortunately, his son who is taking over the farm didn't listen to his father's advice this last year, and 13 of their heifers needed c-sections, where there's is only the occasional one required each year. So there you go, it's definitely given me food for thought, excuse the pun, but perhaps bitches shouldn't have so much piled into them for the last two weeks. I know my friend's litter was exceptional, 13 for a maiden litter and just enormous, enormous puppies, but perhaps we can learn something from other animal breeders?

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
I always think back to the wild. No high protein feed there. OK, I would guess the mortality rate would be higher in the wild, but that I think would be more likely to lack of being able to hunt for food. I think sometimes we err too far into protectiveness.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I always think back to the wild. No high protein feed there. OK, I would guess the mortality rate would be higher in the wild, but that I think would be more likely to lack of being able to hunt for food. I think sometimes we err too far into protectiveness.
I think dog food companies have a lot to answer for, and particularly those pushed by the vet trade, as they're the ones 'making up' the rules as it were, and they really have no basis on which to claim that a bitch needs the huge amounts or change in nutrition. As long as the bitch feels she's getting enough and she's getting a good quality food then why change? I'll certainly be baring in mind that more food equals larger puppies in the future, we all want good chunky pups, but not at the expense of the bitch's health.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All
I've had 2 scans, day 30 & day 40,
Day 30 showed 2 puppies , day 40 shows just 1. She's at day 49 today
Both the breeder & scanning people are telling me to not to over feed. They also say not to feed any puppy food.
Can anyone that has knowledge regarding this situation, please advise ??
Many Thanks
Molly
I am in the same situation as you x

And I have also been told the same as you....

My girl is due on the 4th November, so 5 days behind you x

I'm sending love & keeping my fingers crossed for you & your girl 😘

Keep us posted, I'll follow you Kx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many Thanks Karen.... It's a worrying time.....
I've been told to brace myself for a C Section..... & that cost's are between £1000 -£2500 !!!

Any recommendations for a Puppy Heat Pad ,? Model make etc... I've set up a heat lamp in preparation, but "Mum To Be" isn't keen....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many Thanks Karen.... It's a worrying time.....
I've been told to brace myself for a C Section..... & that cost's are between £1000 -£2500 !!!

Any recommendations for a Puppy Heat Pad ,? Model make etc... I've set up a heat lamp in preparation, but "Mum To Be" isn't keen....
It really is....

I had been told, & also spoke to my vet today & she said the same, that a single puppy may not produce enough of the hormone that kick starts labour.... Another concern for ending up needing a cesarean along with the pup getting too big.... I did ask if it would be worthwhile to plan a section but what she said was that it is impossible to tell when the right time is based on dates & what they often do is progesterone levels, which start to drop once the lungs are mature & the pup is ready to come out, alongside monitoring with ultrasound.... I was quoted £1,200-£1,300 but it depends what time of day/weekend etc... 😔

I'm getting more & more anxious about it as we get closer to her due date... 😔

Heat mat wise I'm still looking but I do know I want it to be waterproof/wipe clean, actual temperature control {rather than high, medium, low}, doesn't have an auto cut off after X amount of time & only takes up a small area of the whelping box so Millie can chose whether to be warm or cool x

I'm going to have a good look so I'll let you know x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Karen, I've been given advise to use Raspberry Leaf to assist with whelping, Urtica Urens to reduce milk production & Fenugreek to increase milk production.
Did you get anywhere with the Heat Mats ?....
Why can't there just be a reliable Heat Pad !!!
Can anyone else advise please ? It's a really worrying time without extra stress researching then only to receive a heat pad that doesn't work as it should....

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Karen, I've been given advise to use Raspberry Leaf to assist with whelping, Urtica Urens to reduce milk production & Fenugreek to increase milk production.
Can anyone else advise please ? It's a really worrying time without extra stress researching then only to receive a heat pad that doesn't work as it should....

Thanks
Hey Molly 😘

I've had a look ~ it's a shame the one Hyperdrug sell is out of stock as it looks good...

I looked first of all on ebay ~ they do ones that have 7 heat settings increasing by 5° a time but I then saw one that has one heat setting of 38° which then made me wonder if 35° wouldn't be warm enough but 40° is too warm ~ I don't know if I'm now over thinking it now.... Think I'll do a post about it x

I'll send you a wee message

Kx

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks
I've messaged you Molly x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All.
I've noticed a change in her habit, not eating as much, staying in her bed.
This morning I woke up to find the couch had scratch marks .... Her temperature is 37.5.... With a BOOTS thermometer
Unfortunately I only started to check Friday Day 57 & it was 37.2 so went & bought another thermometer to make sure the reading was correct...That Thermometer is reading 36.6 just now so a drop of .6 degree
She's been on a walk today off lead along the tow path & she's not running around like she was last week... There's been a gradual drop off with her energy in the last few days....
Just now 9pm Sunday 24th Oct....She's in her whelping box in the corner of the room and SCRATCHING !!!
From mating she's day 60 today....
Does this sound Normal?
What makes the bitch drop her Temperature ????.... Is it the puppy that tells her to start scratching & makes her temp drop??
What day after mating do I take her for a Reverse Progesterone test ?
I've sorced a vet that will do an elective C section or emergency C Section @£1500.... My vet WON'T do this... And to do an emergency C Section my vets want all scans & will charge £2500-£3000
Look forward to hearing from someone with knowledge...
Many Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All.
I've noticed a change in her habit, not eating as much, staying in her bed.
This morning I woke up to find the couch had scratch marks .... Her temperature is 37.5.... With a BOOTS thermometer
Unfortunately I only started to check Friday Day 57 & it was 37.2 so went & bought another thermometer to make sure the reading was correct...That Thermometer is reading 36.6 just now so a drop of .6 degree
She's been on a walk today off lead along the tow path & she's not running around like she was last week... There's been a gradual drop off with her energy in the last few days....
Just now 9pm Sunday 24th Oct....She's in her whelping box in the corner of the room and SCRATCHING !!!
From mating she's day 60 today....
Does this sound Normal?
What makes the bitch drop her Temperature ????.... Is it the puppy that tells her to start scratching & makes her temp drop??
What day after mating do I take her for a Reverse Progesterone test ?
I've sorced a vet that will do an elective C section or emergency C Section @£1500.... My vet WON'T do this... And to do an emergency C Section my vets want all scans & will charge £2500-£3000
Look forward to hearing from someone with knowledge...
Many Thanks
She could well be starting stage 1 of labour x
You are better checking her temp with the same thermometer you have been using as there can be differences between each thermometers calibration ~ so the new one you got might not of given you the 37.2 ~ does that make sense?

I have been posting in the whelping group I'm in & the single puppy group & quite a few people have said that you don't always get the temp drop x so this could be you starting x

Are you on facebook?

Kx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts