Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Poor Kevin has been in the hospital with a bout of HGE. He started off going from solid to watery poo then it turns into jelly like red poo, to what can only be described as red wine with bits of mince in (sorry!) Anyhow, 6 nights in hospital on a drip and he came out feeling OK - he'd had 2 or 3 good poos. This was Tuesday. His poo was OK yesterday but he was a bit off his food in the afternoon and he'd got wise to my tablet hiding in sausage and wouldn't take any. This morning, poos were like jelly again and could definitely see blood. He had a couple more after that, then a runny brown one then nothing for 8 whole glorious hours. Now he's just spent 20 minutes running round trying to find the spot to poop in and passed a load of very sloppy poo (although in my torch light I couldn't see any blood in it) Now I might be being a bit naive but is this normal and part of the recovery process for HGE? I just thought once the poo was fine it was fine, I was hoping to start weaning him off the chicken and rice and everything but we seem to have gone significantly backwards. I'm reluctant to call my vet because they misdiagnosed him and he was treated at the local emergency hospital instead, but I don't know if I'm over panicking for nothing - he seems spritely and today has been eating chicken like there's no tomorrow. Nobody really said what to expect, just to go to vet if I'm concerned - but if I went to the vet every time I was concerned theyd charge me rent. Just wondered if anyone else had had any experiences they'd be happy to share?

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
HGE. There can be several causes, bacteria and parasites are the most likely causes. Interestingly I know of several other dogs with this at the moment, so I'd say it's likely to be something going around. The big risk is dehydration, so the worry is if not drinking, or not able to hold the fluids down. There is a probiotic vets can prescribe, which can help settle the tummy. Dont be in any rush to come off of the chicken and rice. When Amy was poorly I was boiling a day's supply every evening, so I had her morning feed all ready without having any hassle. She was poorly of over two weeks, but she was a very old lady by that time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hes drinking fine and no vomiting so thats a big positive. I just don't think I was prepared for the poo to go runny and bloody again, but so long as it stays away from red wine consistency and he's well in himself I'll (try) not to panic too much, I'll just monitor. He's got some probiotic paste which he hates but when sandwiched in a bit of sausage he'll eat happily (chicken is too bland to mask its taste apparently, he's not daft is he) and I see that they sell it in petsathome so I can get us some more at the weekend. Is there anything else we can feed or should we keep it that simple as chicken and rice and nothing else?

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Tinned Chappie is quite good for this kind of thing. You could mix a bit of Chappie in with the rice to make it a little more desirable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts