Labradors Forums banner

Exercising after eating?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  fiz 
#1 ·
I've gotten into the routine of taking Cooper out for a walk after his meals but I'm just wondering if that's ok because I heard that they shouldn't exercise after eating?

In the morning, he has breakfast first thing, then I wait 15-20min and take him for a 10-15 min walk around the block (on lead). In the evening I wait a little longer, possibly 1/2h-1h.
The reason why I do this is to make sure he does his business before I leave for work or before we go to bed.

I just want to make sure that I'm giving enough time for the food to go down and not risking the twisting stomach thing.

#2 ·
Mine only have 1 walk a day and that is usually 1-2 hrs after their breakfast, but this is a full off lead/running/swimming type of walk.

IMO an on-lead walk 15-20 mins after eating is fine but not one that involves charging around. Leaving about an hour or so between eating and off lead romp is probably a good idea.

Hope this helps

Chloe

#3 ·
I always exercise mine for the last umpteen years diirectly after feeding, again so they 'empty' put on the downs rather than in their kennels ;-)

I think its valid to consider the problem that COULD occur 'Bloat'... but in all honesty whilst, like most things, if you ask *someone* will know *someone* who had a dog who was troubled by it.... its exactly that, one in a hundred hundred :)

I also walk mine straight after feeding because they all eat poo and at least when walked they are full ;-) They are DREADFUL if i walk them when hungry.

We have all heard the 'let their food settle' stuff, but frankly I've never known a single problem with not doing so, and know many many who do the same.

Di

#6 ·
Mine still always poo without fail on a walk whether we go out an hour after eating or 4 hrs! They toilet in the garden straight after breakfast, on the walk at whatever time in the day and possibly again in the garden later on in the day. Tbh I would rather mine go in the garden as I prefer to clean that up and not have to walk miles with a full poo bag in my hand!

Chloe

#7 ·
Bloat is always a risk when exercising shortly after feeding. But with Labradors bloat is very rarely a problem as this tends to be worse in dogs breeds with a deep narrow body such as Great Danes.

I must admit I tend to only give a small breakfast before going picking up on the shoot,but thats more to do with not wanting my dogs to fall asleep!!!

Regards, John

#8 ·
Mine are exercised about 3/4 hr after eating their breakfast, sometimes a little sooner if I'm running late. I do feed 3 times a day though so it's not huge amounts that they're eating at any one time.

I did have a Weimaraner that bloated once, very scary experience! Thankfully after an emergency dash to the vet he was fine.

#9 ·
I should hope you all pick up poo where ever they do it! There is nothing worse than walking in woodland or across a field only to find dog poo.
I walk my dogs after their meals have settled as I would expect myself to do so. Canine diseases are crossing into our food chain via folk who don't pick up after their dogs where ever its done.

#10 ·
Yep - I pick up all poop wherever it lands. I even pick up other dogs' poop as I don't want us owners to get a worse name than we already have.

I prefer it in the garden 'tho, so I tend to walk Tatze about an hour before eating. I have a super poop scoop implement.

(Not walking now as we are housebound due to her season - waaaaaaaaaahhhh!)

#11 ·
In the morning the girls get walked about an hour after breakfast, but they will have "been" in the garden as soon as we get up.

In the afternoon, I usually walk them for an 1-1/2 hours then feed them. They usually poo then as well......and yes, I always pick up :D

Hubby on the other hand, if he is walking them in the afternoon, he will feed them, then take them out about an hour after.

No particular reason for the above, just a routine we had fallen into :)

#12 ·
I don't walk mine until an hour after they've been fed. As John mentioned, bloat isn't as common in Labradors as some other breeds, but as mine are often the exception to any rule, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

#15 ·
I wish I did understand more about twisted gut/bloat, what I have read is gas build up can cause this which for me means that running around with a gassy tummy will be dangerous for the dog, so caution is required.

Bruno my puppy farm ex-stud boy did have an operation for twisted gut at some time in his past, as I did not witnis it maybe it is what ended his stud days, who knows.

What I do think may be a possible cause other than the walking with a gassy tummy after eating is the speed they eat, the reason for my thinking about this is Bruno still does eat everything he is given as if it will be his last meal ever, it can be just a treat, Bonio, Dentastix a little extra kipper or his daily meals of kibble, it is always really hard to watch.

I have tried special slow down bowls or soaked meals in water, even spread his food outside so he can find it, this I think was the worst tease for him and will not repeat this unless it is a game between food times for them all to play, I feel this is more practical for dogs who do not have food issues from their past experiences.

These days I do not worry about walking him before or after eating as he has slowed down in the sort of energy a young dog has when out and about, but would always keep a close eye on any of the dogs for signs of discomfort when walking just because I know it can happen at anytime, goodness knows what I am looking for though :?

June

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.