Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone

I have a question regarding exercise, we have been very strict with Murphy‘s exercise and stuck to the 5 minute per month rule and Murphy will be 1 October 26th

we split his walk in to 2, a morning and late evening walk split 60/40 and then one last thing at night which is no longer than 5 minutes which is no more than 600 yards round trip (is really a toilet trip before bed)

My question is the Murphy still has so much unburnt energy after the walks and wanted to know after his 1st Birthday how much longer can we walk him or do we still need to keep adding the 5 minutes per month till he is 18 months old?

thank you in advance Mark

·
Administrator
20,743 Posts
At a year old the framework, (Skeleton) has almost finished developing, so you can start to increase the exercise. A gradual increase to build up his stamina. Remember, no athlete would go from a half hour jog to running a marathon, it's a matter of slowly building up muscle.

But also remember the exercise time you give is the amount YOU are comfortable with. The further you go the more you will build his stamina and the further he will go, until you have made a rod for your back!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you John, that makes perfect sense we just didn’t want to undo the hard work and discipline we’ve done

as from his Birthday we will increase his walks gradually by 5 minutes and continue that increase weekly till we hit the time needed.

we are hoping to add another pup to the family, Murphy’s dad will be having pups again but they are waiting for the current situation to calm down

thank you as always for your time and knowledge

·
Administrator
20,743 Posts
People think that a working Labrador is working all day, but thats a long way from reality. A dog might walk quietly at heel to it's position at the first drive, then sit at heel while the beaters are bringing the hedges down. When the birds are flushed the dog's job is to mark the fall of the birds and fetch any that are not dead. Any others can be collected after the drive has finished. It's then a matter of walking at heel to the next drive and it all starts again. There are possibly 6 drives in a day and as far as the dog is concerned most of the day is spent sitting to heel or walking at heel. My dogs get a little more to do because I'll be there before anyone else and Chloe and I will be looking for stray birds and quietly pushing them to where I want them. The photos of my Amy shows how most of our day is spent.

·
Administrator
20,743 Posts
Sadly she died in February just 2 weeks short of her 15th birthday. She retired from work at 12 years old. This was her 14th birthday photo. You can see how grey she became.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts