Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit worried about Charlie at the moment, although not sure if I am just worrying about nothing!!

Over the last few days I have noticed that after his walks/playtime he pants much more than normal, and does not appear to be able to get comfy once we come in ends up whining as a result. :cry:

He is very into retrieving at the moment so when out walking we play with his ball every now and then and also take him out into the garden for playtime as well - this afternoon we played with his ball for about 20 mins then came in - he drank a massive bowl of water and continued to pant for about 30 mins - is this normal?

Its only been in the last few days that I have noticed this, James and I were away for the weekend and James' parents looked after him - they aparently took him on quite a few walks so I am wondering if he is just simply knackered? :?

Does anyone have any ideas??!! :?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi CharlieBrewer,

I'm sorry to hear about Charlie, and i think you are right to be a little worried. He may have simply over done it, if he has had more walks than usual, but personally i would say that 30 minutes is quite a while to still be panting after exercise.

I am of course only going by our experiences with Bradley. normally after walks/exercise, he will drink straight away, then lie down and relax for a rest, and he normally stops panting within 5 minutes or so.

How old is Charlie now?

How is he tonight...has he been able to get comfy?

Did he eat immediately before exercise?

I wouldn't want to worry you at all, but there are many conditions where the symptons normally start of with excessive panting and being very thirsty, so i would advise you to get charlie checked out as soon as you can, by your vet - just to be on the safe side.

It might just be that he is doing too much exercise, or is he over weight?

I think it's better to get him looked at - let us know how you get on, hope all goes ok for you.

Best Wishes

Julie

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for your replies - I have just come back from our morning walk and he is not panting as much - but I left his ball at home this morning.

Charlie is 8 months old and gets 2 1/2 walks a day (which has been increased as he has got older) but over the last week or so when we are leaving he picks up his ball to take so we play with that throughout the walk as well (we walk in woods so he is off lead all the time) so maybe the fact that he is walking for 1/2 hour AND playing with his ball maybe its that making him pant.

This morning, he was paniting but not like the last few days - he came in - had a drink and is now settled by my feet sleeping.

I am definately going to take him to the vets though as I am a little worried - I will let you know how I get on!

Thanks for your advice.

Sarah

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I'm glad to hear Charlie is feeling better, thank you for letting us know, hope all goes well at the vets - i look forward to hearing how you get on.

Best wishes

Julie

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thought I'd just continue this thread instead of making a new one. Our weather is a bit milder last few days and max has just returned from a good walk/run with OH. They are out for about an hour and usually he returns tired, but fine. Today though (and yesterday with son) after a good work out, he seems to be very out of breath. Drank loads as he has always done on return but just slumps down heart beating like mad. He has settled now after 15-20 mins. He's had his heart checked as part of routine visits to vet and fine, do you think its just the warmer weather (he's not keen on heat) or should I get him looked at? He is 11 and a half months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts