Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max has been licking his leg a lot the past few days, to the point where he has licked the hair off and there's a red patch of skin exposed. I looked it up in my book "What your dog is trying to tell you" and it was described as, oddly enough, Excessive licking. It said that it was common in Labs who were bored, or left alone a lot. Both of those are not the case in our household. We have another dog, and they rarely spend more than a few hours alone. I'm wondering what might be making him do this and if I should be concerned enough to take him to vet. My husband and I are going out of the country in a couple weeks and Max will go to the kennel and I don't want to leave him there with any lingering health issues.

thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi there

Does max sleep on a hard surface most of the time?

Jess had a couple of these small red weeping patches where the hair had come off on her back leg when she was about 6 months old.

We took her to the vet and he said that it was probably because she liked lying on the hard wood floor it was kind of like a bed sore.

When we got her to start lying in her little bed the sores started to clear up in no time.

Hope this helps

Gordon

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi there i would take max for a checkup as my black lab liberty had the same thing last year the vet said the same bordem but she has two other labs to play with it was only when i said that she was loosing fur underneath that he took a blood test and found that she has a underactive tyrioud and will be on tablets for the rest of her life hope this helps yours sue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts