Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious here...

our pup is now 8 months and he is STILL chewing everything he sees.

Luckily so far not too much of our furniture has been affected, although he has chewed the moulding on the back of a door, as well as the first step on the staircase. He did those things when we were not home.

When we take him for walks, it is getting really frustrating because he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. Sticks are his favorite and luckily they are relatively harmless but leaves and rocks come in as a close second (swallowing a rock would not be fun). The worst is that he eats - or tries to eat - every pile of dog and cat poop we pass. That could make him sick. He likes to bite the heads off of flowers, some of which are probably poisenous, and right now, the most annoying is that he wants to dive into all the wild mushrooms we pass, so I have to keep him tight on a leash at the moment since its autumn and wild mushrooms are everywhere and as far as I know, really toxic!!

I try to say "drop it" in a stern voice, and with some things (like rocks) he will drop but MOST things he will NOT and most things he will swallow as soon as possible.

I am sort of worried its turning into a game.

We just moved and have the front yard fenced off but most of the shurbs and plants there are toxic to dogs and cats on some level. I dont want to go ripping out EVERY shrub in my yard... I want him to learn not to eat everything he sees!

Is this going to be possible or is this a typical lab thing? even at 8 months?

A dog trainer suggested we get a muzzle but personally I would not want to see a big black dog with a muzzle on - it would make me want to cross the road :)

has anyone tried a muzzle to see if it de-trains their chewing habits?

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
I sympathise with you re the eating dog poo.We have tried all sorts of things with our 14 month pup.We tried a muzzle,but it just upset her too much.She had her mouth to the ground all the time trying to get muzzle off.They say distraction should work,with a favourite toy.I know our old lab used to eat dog poo,but after a little while stopped doing it,so am hoping for the same.Re stones and leaves,this has lessend with the pup,so hopefully yours will grow out of it.Good luck.It does get better.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I tried a muzzle on Coco after too many trips to the vets with colitis after eating rubbish. She still managed to stick her face in piles of horse poo to eat it, constantly rubbed it along the floor in an attempt to get it off and was really withdrawn, avoiding other dogs and not enjoying walks. I gave up with it very quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
I also sympathise, my Cassie ate other dogs poo and then taught her little sister, Sophie. Sorry I am going to be no help, OK, I tried so hard to stop it, to no avail.

Our little Juice started to feast on horse poo recently, so I blew my whistle and called her, thank God she came to Mommy for a bit of carrot 😀

Some dogs do, some dogs don't and TBH, when it was time for Cassie to go to Rainbow Bridge at 13.5 years, I would have liked to go and find some 'cat cookies' for her last supper.

I did say I would be no help but, sometimes, I think if I had ignored 'the problem' and not ran about chasing Cass and Soph away from poo they would not have found it all so much fun??? Who knows???

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

1 - 4 of 4 Posts