Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Benson
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benson's now 13 weeks and doing very well (mostly -and where he's not I suspect it's down to the inexperience of his owners!).

We have a pretty good routine throughout the day, with training, play and plenty of sleep (roughly 1.5/2 hours on/off). He was settling with us in the sitting room about 7.00pm and going happily into his crate for the night about 9.30/9.45Pm (we are early birds, which he seems fine with). The last few evenings (and some previous ones) he has 'suddenly' become alert at about 8.00/8.30pm and goes 'mad' - I cannot distract him with toys, he starts wandering around chewing at everything he shouldn't (knowingly, as his eyes are wide and looking sideways at us), then he speeds around the room at a manic pace. Last night we could not settle him so I took him outside into the garden and wandered around with him, hoping that he's burn off some energy. Failed miserably so ended up (gently) putting him in his crate, which I felt was too early. He didn't complain, but does anyone have any ideas about how we might manage this better please? We are so disrupted by it and (humanly selfish) it completely ruins our restful evening together. Any thoughts/ideas/help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Anne

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Fairly typical giddy puppy behaviour. I encourage my girls to settle down and rest, but my youngster, who's about 9 months of age now, has her giddy puppy moments, thankfully it doesn't last for long. Probably the easiest way to stop it happening is to do a bit of training, if you know approximately when it's going to happen, work their brains about an hour before hand with a fun game, hiding a toy and getting them to find it just as an example. Build up a sit/stay, make them think a little bit and they are less likely to have prolonged giddy fits.

·
Registered
Benson
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fairly typical giddy puppy behaviour. I encourage my girls to settle down and rest, but my youngster, who's about 9 months of age now, has her giddy puppy moments, thankfully it doesn't last for long. Probably the easiest way to stop it happening is to do a bit of training, if you know approximately when it's going to happen, work their brains about an hour before hand with a fun game, hiding a toy and getting them to find it just as an example. Build up a sit/stay, make them think a little bit and they are less likely to have prolonged giddy fits.
Many thanks for this - I sort of know what time it starts, but I'll pay more attention to this. I'll try spending time with him with 'hide & seek' games earlier and see how we get on. I guess the key is anticipating and diverting. Definitely worth a try. Thank you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Freddie did this. We tried to go out for a walk with him just before it happened, and do some training or ball games outside. He's 13 months now and has mostly grown out of it!

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Yes, most puppies have a mad half hour in the evening. It's normally when the pup has got over tired. I get into the habit of putting my pups in their crate for an hour in te evening at around 7pm for a sleep. This tends to become a life long habit, and although they no longer have a crate they still put themselves to bed in the evening.

but I was only thinking this morning how our perspectives change. I walked out into the garden this morning to feed the fishes in the pond, and of course, Chloe came too. After feeding the fish I leaned back against the fence to watch them eat, and Chloe set off at 100mph! Round the back of the summer house, down the path, round the front of the pond, up in between me and the summer house! After 3 or 4 laps she stopped in front of me with a big grin on her face. At fast approaching 8 years old she obviously has no joint twinges and can still enjoy acting the puppy! So lovely to watch!

·
Registered
Benson
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freddie did this. We tried to go out for a walk with him just before it happened, and do some training or ball games outside. He's 13 months now and has mostly grown out of it!
Thank you for letting my know about Freddie. I have done just that; amended our evening routine. Walk, feed then 'training' games with hide and seek, impulse control etc. He is settling better now, but actually, just knowing that it is 'normal', that he won't carry on for hours and he's just burning off the excess energy and it is not 'bad behaviour' has helped me relax about it. We seem to have found a stress-free happy medium, so I will stick with the amendments we have made and see how things go.

·
Registered
Benson
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, most puppies have a mad half hour in the evening. It's normally when the pup has got over tired. I get into the habit of putting my pups in their crate for an hour in te evening at around 7pm for a sleep. This tends to become a life long habit, and although they no longer have a crate they still put themselves to bed in the evening.

but I was only thinking this morning how our perspectives change. I walked out into the garden this morning to feed the fishes in the pond, and of course, Chloe came too. After feeding the fish I leaned back against the fence to watch them eat, and Chloe set off at 100mph! Round the back of the summer house, down the path, round the front of the pond, up in between me and the summer house! After 3 or 4 laps she stopped in front of me with a big grin on her face. At fast approaching 8 years old she obviously has no joint twinges and can still enjoy acting the puppy! So lovely to watch!
Thank you John - I have a real image of your garden features, with the whirlwind Chloe - a joy indeed. 7.00pm does seem to be the watershed hour and I have to say, once in his crate, Benson settles really quickly. He's a good boy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're spoiling my hopes that Ada might calm down with age JohnW !

We had a nice gentle plod in the woods with a stream yesterday morning not doing too much because of the heat and she promptly came home and had mad zoomies round the garden for 5 minutes.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
You're spoiling my hopes that Ada might calm down with age JohnW !
I spend 6 years wishing my old Beth would grow up, and the rest of her life hoping she never would. And my second wish came true. Not for nothing was she known locally as Big Bad Bethany. She was still demonstrating gundog work to my puppy class at 13. But then cancer hit her and she never made 14, and I still miss her cheeky face.

Dog Carnivore Working animal Plant Collar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts