Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

You may well know this but it the event not it is worth mentioning...........

Before Tilly, I had a dog that suffered from Epilepsy quite badly, infact I lost Gus to a severe attack one tragic Friday night.........

Anyway, just by fluke one day the chap who was installing my new kitchen saw my newly acquired engery saving light bulbs on the side waiting to be installed. He said your dog isn't an Epileptic is it?

Apparently these bulbs trigger attacks in Epileptic, sensitive or dogs prone to any seizures. On checking with my vet I found this to be true, now even though, touch wood, none of my animals suffer with it I am reluctant to use them.

What made me cross there was no warning on the packaging for either dogs or humans !

Has anyone noticed their dogs reacting to them......just a thought.

·
Administrator
20,773 Posts
I never had any engery saving light bulbs Rhoni, so this was not a trigger for Bethany. In fact I never found anthing particular which served as a trigger in her case. Her fit's were at regular intervals though, which tends to be the way of things. I was lucky in that it was never a problem with her and she lived out a very full life.

Regards, John

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

I found the balance of medication had to be quite exact with Gus, should his weight fluctuate or if he had the ' poos's ' it would disturb his medication level and bring about a seizure.

Also as he aged his dose had to be increased.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi John & Mommy & all...

I know how what happens to human who are epileptci...but have no clue how it is with doggies... Can you plz advise how they behave during such an attack & how are they to be handled...

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
20,773 Posts
Hi Rhoni.
There was a cumulative effect with Bethany, although with her it seemed to be a confidence sapping thing. She grew more moody with dogs she didn't know or trust although never with dogs she trusted. Talking to Pat Chapman of Shargleam Flatcoats before she died, who did a study of Epilepsy in her other breed, Goldens, and she insisted that there was a small amount of brain damage done each time they fitted.

Hi Vidhya.
How epilepsy affects dogs depends very much on the dog. In the case of my Bethany she always knew a fit was coming on and would seek us out. She would be quite calm as long as she could feel us and I normally sat on the floor with her gently reassuring her. If I left her, even for seconds something near to panic would grip her and she would try to stand.

Dogs are normally only actually unconscious for a very short time but the muscle spasms and shaking would go on for around 20 minutes. She would often get up after an attack only for another to follow within minutes. If I could walk her around I could often walk it out of her.

Whatever the effects, she was a wonderful dog and I would not have missed having her for the world. Warts and all, she was my Big Bad Bethany!

Regards, John

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi John and Vidhya,

My Gus was a rescue dog, clearly thrown out because of his condition, although it was stable with medication.

His attacks did have time between them and then arrive in clusters. The larger the cluster the longer he took to get over them. Afterwards he would be very ' lost ' and disorientated for a few hours.

On the last night he had a cluster that I could not stop ( had Diazipam in the house ) and his last fit was huge, clearly very damaging. I called the vet out and they sedated him and took him in overnight to keep on drip to break the cycle.

I collected him next day at tea time as he was ' different '. Didn't really acknlowge me, was friendly but as if I was just anyone.

From the moment he was home he paced, up and down, and would not settle, kept stopping to look at a spot on the wall ( nothing there ) no amount of comfort would settle him. Very distressing........
By 4am I felt this was not fair on him as he was exhausted so I called emergency vet, ( small practice who knew us well ) and she stayed with us till 9 trying everything possible until she said she could not give him anymore drugs to bring him out of it.
He wasn't fitting by now as had enough Diazipam in him to hold them of just, but every few minutes would stiffen and bend his head back, ( his signal a fit was iminent )
He didn't know me or his surroundings or my other dog anymore. Was being ruled by his now hugely damaged brain..................the vet said they had tried everything and he would not come out of it and would just continue like this until his heart gave up.........

For Gus's best interests I had to have him put to sleep................

We all sat together on my living room floor, on his fav rug as the injection was administered..............one of the most painful days of my life.

But he is still with me, in a lovely carved mahoggay box in the lounge.....and I have my memories...............sorry.wasn't gonna go on like this but....mabye should of put in Rainbow bridge :cry:
But just a description of the fits and effects.......

·
Administrator
20,773 Posts
In their own way they are all special Rhoni. I know just how you felt. I was the same when Bethany went (Although that was unconected to the epilepsy.

The repeated fitting is known as "Status Epilepticus" Vidhya. Valium (Diazepam) will bring a dog out of it but if it has got to that stage then damage is being done and the end is not usually far away. As I said, Bethany usually went in a collection of two fits at a time. In her case it was just that she seemed to just not be ready to come out of it yet, if you know what I mean.

She only once fitted when out and that was while I was taking a class! I got someone else to continue whilst I sat on the floor with her. It possibly did the class good to see what epilepsy was and how I dealt with it. I was able to quietly explain what was going on. I may have helped to remove the “Fear Aspect” from it a little for them if ever they owned one.

Regards, John

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John,

Tis so painful to deal with this...but tis even harder for your pet............we as humans sometimes forget to ' think dog ' we think human....and have a different prospective on everything.....but nothing takes away the fact that you are losing your friend ........

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi Rhoni & John...

Thanks for EDUCATING me....I know everytime you both write the pains resurfaces but then there are many lil ones who cud benefit from your knowledge...

Rhoni...I'm sure what you did was in the best interest for Gus....I wish they had such option available for us 2....Its best to close my eyes then suffer every day....in any case what ever comes to life shall always pass away... Then let the final moment be of peace rather pain....

Sadly in mumbai there is just one vet hospital :( ...i cannot expect much from a country which has a problem feeding its people leave alone giving facilities for the cannines... This is why i'm doing my best to learn... i don;t want to be an ignorant fool... we do have emergency vets or hospitals :( .... Touch wood frodo is a healthy baby but who has seen tommorrow... I want to be canine literate....Thanks john for always being there :) ..I'd be lost without you....Thanks Rhoni for your sharing your memories....

Regards

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
We all sat together on my living room floor, on his fav rug as the injection was administered..............one of the most painful days of my life.
Hi Rhoni - i know exactly how you felt when my last lab, Gillie, had to be put to sleep. I sat with him, with his head on my lap as they injected him. I never cried so much, but could not imagine not being there for him in his biggest moment of need.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul,

I know I cried till I thought there were no tears left........and waking from the first sleep it hit me like a dreadful wave as the memory came back and I started again.

I can't talk or type about him even now without crying....... :cry:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paul,

Just shows what animal lovers we really are eh?

I can quite happily mention my EX without any reaction other than relief ! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts