Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - have just been to meet 'our' pup (12 days old now!) - he was gorgeous, as were his littermates. The breeder told us the sire was an Endacott champion (belonging to Andrew ? - I forget, as I was too excited!).

Does anyone know about the Endacott line - the name rang a bell, but I can't find the site where I read up on them.

John W - I think you have an Endacott-sired dog - am I right?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Jodie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Jodie

Johns new pup is sired by an Endacott dog and I know he knows the Endacott dogs well. John will know, but I don't think Ann has a website - I've not seen one myself.

My dog was also sired by an Endacott dog - Endacott Soames of Riversway.

Who is your pups sire?

regards Jenny

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry to butt in again, I'm sure John will reply when he sees this, but was it Andy Latham's Endacott Shelf ?

Wow - lucky you. I can't wait to hear about all these Endacott puppies - I'm green :wink: :D
regards
Jenny :)

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Endacott is the affix of Ann Courtier of Ibstone. To me one of the top half dozen working kennels in the country. Ann is also an extremely good trainer and handler and a very nice person.
If the puppy is indeed sired be Shelf then it should be a cracking dog! He is a wonderful worker and has passed his brains on into his puppies. You will certainly have some fun with him. What are your intentions? Do you intend to work him? Shelf was born in 1996 and is be Glenbriar Solo out of Endacott Spindle.

When you get to see his pedigree, if you like to post some more details I can possibly tell you more about your puppy.

Regards, John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you John and Jenny - starting to feel very boastful about pup now! :D I know it was Andy Latham's dog as sire - I will find out more details when we next visit in three weeks. The bitch belongs to Felicity Stevens from Hereford - she is fab and has been breeding for years.

As for working him - we're not sure as yet. We both work, so don't know if we have extra time training etc involves. I teach and have already had a few of the boys who work the local estate 'volunteering' their services if we trained him up! We may well put him through the training, as this is what Felicity and others we have spoken to advise. We will see nearer to the time.

Anyway, am feeling very proud now of pup's heritage!

Thanks for info.

Jodie

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oooh - lucky you.
Shelf and Soames were litter brothers and although training and handling are important too, it's a real tribute to Ann's breeding that she has two dogs that have been made up to FTCH from one litter.
Haven't come across any info on Shelf's pedigree, but it will be the same as Soames' here
I believe (hopefully John will correct me if I'm wrong) he ran in the 2003 IGL Retriever Championships, so you may see him in action on the video.
look forward to all your adventures.
regards
Jenny

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
He did indeed run in the 2003 championship Jenny. Also his brother Soames ran in 2002 at which championship Ann also ran Endacott Early Edition, a real red letter year for Ann!

If you have been reading my little bits about Labrador pedigrees Jodie, because none appear in your pedigree you could be mistaken in thinking that your puppy is not particularly well bred but nothing is further than the truth! It amazes people just how far apart the pedigrees of working and show Labradors are and as most Lab show people do not get involved with the working lines they are often fooled into thinking a working dog contains nothing of interest!

Endacott Shelf, as I said was by Glenbriar Solo out of Endacott Spindle. Spindle was by Ewshot Liffey out of Endacott Queen. Liffey an amalgam of the three world famous lines, Palgrave, Swinbrook and Holdgate. Add to that, the Endacott line brings in Drakeshead and the Irish Shinshail line and you can see how it fits together. In this half you have Swinbrook Twig and Tan, Palgrave Edward, Holdgate Swallow and Willie and Shinshail Apache.

Glenbriar Solo’s sire was the great Pocklea Remus. Remus who was descended from John and Sandra Halstead’s Drakeshead dogs, Haretor Mark of Drakeshead and Drakeshead Gypsy. Further back behind Gypsy you will find HM the Queen’s bitch Sandringham Magpie.

Really, this little lot is a “Who’s Who” of working Labradors.

I don’t know Felicity Stevens so can tell you nothing about this side but if you like to post the name of the bitch and possibly her sire and dam then I might be able to tell you a little more. As to training, think of it like this. You are going to have to train something or you are going to be in trouble. A bright working dog is not the kind of dog to take to sitting doing nothing! Taking that as read, then you might as well teach what he was bred for. He will enjoy it and believe me, so will you!

Regards, John

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Just seen the pedigree you've posted Jenny! I know Barbara Kuen's bitch Dolbrenin Sian so well. She really is a lovely bitch and so bidable.

Regards, John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you John! I have to say, all the names are getting a bit confusing! It really was luck that put us in contact with our pup - we enquired via our vet, who put us in touch with someone local, who happened to train alongside Felicity.

I'm afraid I don't know the name of the dam - Felicity is from Hereford and has around 10 dogs at the moment - all gorgeous and v. clever! I remember Blaise was one name- she has bred all but one of her dogs herself and doesn't advertise, so I don't think she has a breed affix. Andy Latham happened to be in the area doing some work, so his dog was mated with her bitch - it was all done officially, so I look forward to finding out more next time we visit. I know they both have excellent hip scores/no history of OCD/good eyes etc.

Have found photos of Endacott Shelf - he is gorgeous - as I said, we are looking into training - but all a question of time! I have seen you say that you work John - so how do you fit it all in?!

Thanks for your help

Jodie

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
I have seen you say that you work John - so how do you fit it all in?
A day has 24 hours Jodie, we only see them once so we have to use them to the full. Anything else is throwing our life away! I've done quite a lot in my time but still have quite a bit more left to do. I used to work and work my dogs but now I've taken early retirment I can spend the day doing the things I really enjoy. Take on a new puppy and start training again, go to a few Field Trials during the winter and possible pick up at another shoot or two.

Regards, John

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to site!

I am new to the site - I put Endacott Shelf in on Google and arrived at this site. I have a 12mth bitch called Kara who was sired by Endacott Shelf and the other side of the family was Garendon Captian and some of the Glenbriar line. I am OVER the moon with her - she is my first dog and already has her Bronze good citizen (with ease) and retrieves from water, long grass etc. She loves a hide a seek game and as far as water is concerned..... she jumps in off the bank just for fun. I would love to know more about both sides of the family as I think she will make a great working dog - I just need to know where to go for training for field trials etc. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Copperwoman and Kara...

Welcome to the Forums............

As for Endacott Shelf.......It will only be a matter of time before John W and Lablover pick this up and offer you their huge wealth of knowledge .......be patient :wink:

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Garendon Captain won the 1998 IGL Retriever Championship. As I've said before, this is the very top working honour. In order to qualify you have to have won a open Field trial and after a win in the Championship the dog will be a Field Trials champion even if it was not before. He was bred by David Broom and owned and handled by Steve Jolly. He goes down the usual working lines, Holdgate Willie, Westead Tan of Drakeshead and Palgrave Edward although his bitch line is a little different to some including dogs from the Pocklington and Barnavara lines and another dog I like, Kelvinhead Magnum.

As to Glenbriar, this is an Irish affix belonging to Mr R Robertson. To my knowledge he has made up 6 FT champions at least so he must be doing something right! His first was Glenbriar Sweep, who apart from having Holdgate Willie on the forth line was solid Irish. (So saying, I've just noticed HM the Queen's Sandringham Logan on the fifth line!) Although after that he did bring other English FT CH dogs into his line it still remains a very good outcross for English dogs, as does Billy Steel's and Alan Roundtree's dogs.

As to making a great working dog, yes, I would not be surprised!

If you like to give me a very rough idea of your location I may well be able to give you a phone number of a training club in your area.

Regards, John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did not know how to put in my location!

We live in Cheshire, a place called Hale.

I would really like to do something with Kara because she is a noticably kind, gentle but intelligent dog who learns very quickly. I would like to do some work with her and then maybe in time breed from her to have more of the same.

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Yep! Anorak over me 'ed and an arm full of "Breed Record Supplements". As you said, I really should get out more!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
lol John.......

We must club together and get you a new Anorak....or a railcard ! :wink:

Seriously, the info you share is always helpful, informative and appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts