Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to let young Elvis have a run on the Grouse today. He has been doing very well in his training and I thought the time was right to give him a little exposure to the real thing.

Here he is all bright eyed and bushy tailed before the first drive.

This second picture sort of tells it's own story, here he is before the start of the second drive, looking slightly more serious.

He worked very well in what were difficult conditions for a young and inexperienced dog. We were working a back wind all day and for a youngster this can be very disconcerting, but he got the hang of it.

The high spot of the day was he picked his first grouse, which was very much alive and kicking, when we were asked to help find a bird that wasn't accounted for.

One of the other reasons for taking him out was to get him used to the rough and tumble of a shoot day, such as getting in the back of a Defender with four blokes and six dogs.

Here is our little gang comparing notes at the end of a drive.

It was another windy day, which gave me a chance to take another scenic picture, this time looking over towards West Yorkshire

The wind caused some of the dogs a couple of problems, mainly in the ear department.

Here's a couple of pictures of some of the other dogs in our beating team.

In the afternoon we decided to get serious and brought out the proper dogs, here's Rocket!

I really like this photo of Rocket, his character shines through, if ever a dog could stick two fingers up, this lad would

And finally, a landscape view looking back up towards the moor, as I was wending my way home.

I've got to wait a whole 24 hours before I'm out again on Monday :evil:

Andrew

·
Registered
937 Posts
Some great pictures there! The scene from the back of the Land Rover made me smile. There's nothing quite like the 'cram as many blokes and dogs in the back as you can of a vehicle' that you get on a shoot day. I'm sure you've got space for a couple more in there!!!

Matt

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Cracking pictures, and some lovely dogs ! Don't think I am out at the grouse at all thisyear and god do I miss it :cry:

Have fun Monday !

Nic

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Brilliant fun!!!

Gorgeous woofers!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Look's a cracking day Andrew.
Im going up on the moor's on saturday hopefully ill get a grouse for the wee yin to retreive :lol:

Must say... Elvis has some mop of hair on him :D

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Beautiful photos!

Loved the one of the game of sardines in the back of the 4x4 - what fun and high- jinks you country-folk have!!! :lol:

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Great shoot day pics Andrew. :D I’m pleased Elvis acquitted himself so well. I too like the back of the Land Rover shot; it can be interesting, especially if a couple of the dogs don’t like each other. :wink:

John

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cracking photo's as usual Andrew, It's a few seasons since I was on the grouse moor picking up and beating but did have the chance last year to shaoot and bagged 2 for my first time out. I must say the scenery there is fantastic and I wish I was out there with you. again racking pics.

Keith

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Fantastic photos as always Andrew. Its not quite such fun crammed in the back of the shoot vehicles for the girls sometimes 8O , but hey its better than walking :wink: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts