Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Im a bit worried about my 10 month old choccie lab, Aria. Ive noticed that when she stands or sits, her front paws are turning out at 10 & 2 with the right paw seeming slightly more turned out that the left. She is otherwise healthy but did have recurrent campylobacter and giardia for the first 6 months of her life and im quite worried this stopped her absorbing all the nutrients in her food and affected her growth. She doesnt walk with a limp and bounds around the place like any mad lab pup normally would.

Other things ive noticed are that up to around 7-8 months she chewed the hell out of her front paws but when I brought this up at the vets she couldnt find any issue and said it may have just been the pain and discomfort from the campylobacter and giardia. She mouths us when we dry her feet after a walk and finally, whenever we touch her front paws she flinches.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - her sire and dam were clear for hip and elbow displaysia but I know that doesnt guarantee she wouldnt be affected.

?

·
0 Posts
Although having "Chuck away" feet is not desirable, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the dogs elbows or other joints. I've got one here with 10 to 2 feet and her joints are just fine, so I wouldn't worry yourself unduly about her elbows unless there are other symptoms. My one with ED has lovely straight legs and feet, but the first clue to her problem was the odd limp for the first few paces after resting.

As for the chewing of her feet, yes some dogs do lick or chew their feet when they have pain/discomfort elsewhere. Some also do it when they are bored, but many do it because they are allergic/intolerant to something in their environment. If she does it again, check you haven't used something different to wash the floor/carpets/bedding in and make a note of the time of year it starts and stops, as you might then find a pattern which will point you in the direction of the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is such a relief to hear, thank you. As I said there were no other symptoms but you always worry about these things with Labs. Any ideas what would cause her to flinch though every time we touch her paws? Or do some dogs just have an issue with it - ive heard groomers talk about it in the past?

?

·
0 Posts
emma86 said:
Any ideas what would cause her to flinch though every time we touch her paws? Or do some dogs just have an issue with it - ive heard groomers talk about it in the past?
A lot of dogs don't like their paws or lower legs touched, it's quite a vulnerable area for them, I think. I've only got one out of my five who is happy to have her paws fiddled with, the others just "put up" with it because they have to. Try distracting her while you dry her feet, give her something to lick or chew. I remember someone once telling me they smeared cream cheese or peanut butter up their fridge door for the dog to lick off, so they could do their dog's feet without too much hassle :lol: . Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, just don't let her get away with pulling away from you. Keep a hold on the leg until she is not wiggling, then instantly tell her what a good girl she is and let go. That way she'll learn the quicker she stands still, the quicker you'll let go of her :wink: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts