Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
well teddy has been to vets one week and two days post op and had bandage taken off. his stitches and leg look good apparently. as he has been through so many things over the last few weeks they are trying him without a cone at moment, he has a tubigrip bandage covering his leg up and I have to air it as well. all being well then he can have his stitches out on Thursday next week. bad thing is he thinks hes all better now since having bandage off, he thinks now he is more mobile he can do what he likes....not happening teddy! still cage rest.
im hoping that the surgeon will let him wait 6 weeks until he does the other leg so at least he may get xmas week hospital free as its his 1st xmas.
im still reeling that even though we got him from a top uk breeder he has this problem. has anyone else on here had puppies from top breeders with health checks/certificates shown etc and have had this problem? x

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I can't offer any advice, but I'm glad Teddy got through his op OK. I'm pretty sure though that despite all tests being carried out, there are no guarantees.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Sorry I cannot answer your question :( .

Just wanted to say stick with it and keep Teddy out of mischief as much as possible, everything in moderation.

We have just been through a cruciate op with Mischa and I do sympathise, the post op time seems endless but just wanted to say that it does get better very slowly, it seems to be more down hill than up hill until you get to the recovery and physio stage, so stick with it and do everything you are told, I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

My fingers are crossed for Teddy boy, try not to think of the second one for now, I am sure the vet will let Teddy recover from his first op before putting him thru another.

Not sure if it is an option, but my vet suggested water treadmill for Mischa and I think it did help with the building of muscle when lead walking was restricted.

June

?

·
0 Posts
im still reeling that even though we got him from a top uk breeder he has this problem. has anyone else on here had puppies from top breeders with health checks/certificates shown etc and have had this problem?
I know there are others with similar problems, whose dogs came from good breeders and health checked lines.

Unfortunately the only system we have at the moment for judging how good hips and elbows are, relies totally on an xray. This, of course, only shows that particular dog's joints. It doesn't show the genetics behind those joints. So if the dog carries (but isn't affected by) the genetic predisposition to faulty elbows/hips, it simply isn't known about. And then of course these dodgy genes come out to bite us occasionally.

It's the best system we have at the moment though, until a DNA test is perfected and released. When that does happen (and I'm sure it will in the not so distant future) I'm not sure what that'll mean for Labradors as a whole though, as I have a nasty feeling the majority of lines will have the faulty joint gene lurking in their DNA somewhere. :?

Fingers crossed Teddy will recover quickly and you'll get Christmas "off".

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Glad he is feeling good enough to sign himself off crate rest :)

Hope that he is a good boy and behaves for his remaining crate rest though.

Luna's parents had hip scores of 6/6 and 2/6, yet she has HD. Out of 92 of her Dad's TESTED progeny (he is a busy stud-dog siring upwards of approx 700pups!) about 8 have high hip scores (checked using http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/test/Default.aspx) Neither was Elbow scored as far as I know and it is the ED causing her most discomfort. These things happen. I'd go for elbow scores again if I got a pup from a breeder again.

<TOUCH WOOD> I have a rescue boy in Tucker with no clue of his parentage and he has reached almost 3 and a half without me becoming aware of problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to hear the leg looks good, how is he doing now?

I know exactly what you are going through as my parents lost their lab and then decided to get another one, I helped them search high and low for a well recommended breeder which ticked all the boxes and unfortunately he also had elbow dysplasia and started suffering with arthritis at just 2 years. He gets all the love in the world and as long as he is happy then we are.

All previous labs has come from very small local breeder who does it as a bit of a hobby and we never had any problems, very odd

I am sure all will be fine, keep us updated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts