Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Cadbury has me baffled, yet again! He has always been a peculiar dog when it comes to exercise. He likes a little, but not a lot. Its been a running joke in the family since he arrived, but now things are getting even more peculiar.

It was my trainer who suggested he might suffer a mild form of Exercise Induced Collapse - it had never crossed my mind before. He has always been a bit flaky about exercising in warm weather, but now we hardly get a long walk at all because he goes so far and then wont go any further.

It began about a year ago, I would take Cadbury to the park or beach, and after half an hour of off lead running he would just lay down and refuse to move. At first Merlin would try to bully him into getting up as he was still full of beans, but nothing worked. However, on some occasions, if I say Shall we go home for breakfast then? he will perk back up, but only if I then head back to the car. He will still refuse to walk further along. He never used to do this at the beach, he was always endlessly keen for his beach walk and we used to walk for a good 2 hours, now I am lucky if I get 1 hour.

I can tell exactly when he is going to lay down, it starts with him slowing up, and then seeming lethargic and disinterested. Next he lies down with his ball before him, staring at it.

He also has less energy for agility. We took a year off and when we returned I really noticed he had less vim. He can do three rounds, but thats about it. After that you can see he doesnt want to know.

To add to his peculiar-ness, he always goes to bed in his crate at 5pm. Once a fortnight we have agility display practice. I have to keep Cadbury shut in the kitchen so he doesnt go off to bed. He lays there whining and crying. When we arrive at agility he seems to enjoy himself, he whinges when I run Merlin and is keen to work. But as soon as I get him home he charges off to bed! But it is the laying down on walks that is troubling me. I can time him and it is exactly 20-30minutes after running around off lead that he will lay down and want to go home.

His joints are all fine (been recently checked) and he has previously been checked for thyroid problems, but that was normal too.

So could he have EIC? Or is he just weird and a little on the lazy side?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My mother had a Golden R, who was bouncy as a pup but then got tired. By about 18months old he was stopping on walks and lying down after about 30mins. It got to the point where one day she had to leave him and get the car. He was then found to have a heart condition (previous vet checks showed nothing) and started treatment, and although he was a stubborn character he never laid down on a walk again.
I hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon.

?

·
0 Posts
It doesn*t sound like EIC to me. With that he wouldn*t be able to get back up when you told him you were going home. You*d also get other symptoms, such as back leg wobbling before collapsing, and excessive panting.

He sounds just like one of my sister*s long term boarders. She is a Choccie girl of 11 years old now and she doesn*t want to go for walks at all anymore. preferring the comfort of a nice bed in front of the fire. She was always a lazy dog, never really ran about much, never played fetch, didn*t even swim ("Was she a REAL Labrador?" I hear you ask :wink: ) but by the time she was about 5yrs old she would only walk so far, then she would plant her bum down and refuse to move until her owner gave up and took her home. There has never been anything wrong with her; she*s had every test in the book. She*s just always been a Lazy Cow (our affectionate term for her :lol: ).

Perhaps Cadbury and Molly share some of the same genes. :wink:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Well it certainly doesnt sound typical of EIC - but it would only take a cheek swab and $65 to find out for sure. Then at least you would know for definite one way or another - and he does have EIC carriers behind him - so could be money well spent.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/home.html

If EIC is ruled out then it would probably be a good idea to have his heart checked out - just in case.

Monty has always tended to be exercise intolerant and had many tests done but no reason could be found. He knows his own limitations and keeps to them - and it sounds as if Cadbury does too.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I did*t think he had the true symptoms for EIC. June how did you find out he has EIC carriers in his background?

He always has his heart checked by the vet and she says it is good. But he will be going soon for his jabs so I could ask about it.

He did hurt his back when he was much younger and last Easter he sprained his hip. But he recovered well and I have had the vet pulling and prodding him to make sure. He is having no problems jumping and running. When he hurt his hip he was laying down and crying and having trouble moving from a down to a sit. He has no stiffness at all, or other symptoms of joint/back issues. My friend*s dog had a back problem and though the signs were subtle you could tell something was off.

I must admit I favour the *lazy theory*, it was only after my trainer said EIC I started thinking. Jules it would be interesting to compare Molly and Cadbury*s pedigree! On the plus side he gives me an easy life. He point blank refuses to go out in this rain!

?

·
0 Posts
Jules it would be interesting to compare Molly and Cadbury*s pedigree!
I*ve no idea what her pedigree is, or how I*d get hold of it, as her owners are working abroad for the next couple of years (which is why she*s at my sister*s). All I know is she*s a heavy show type and I think she came from Devon....or was it Wales :? . It was out west somewhere :wink: .

I wonder if they are both related to Helen*s Bert, as I think he*s much the same, from what she*s said about him.

As I said on FB....If you fancy a swap....Cadbury for three Duracell Battery Poodles, you only have to say the word :wink: .

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cadbury is a Shropshire lad :wink:

I must admit I saw Mini poodles doing agility and rather like them. But I think three girls descending on Merlin would be too much for his male ego!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I would just update this as I decided to rule out something behavioural rather than medical first.

Anyway, I changed from feeding Cadbury after a walk to an hour or more before. So basically walking at lunch time rather than breakfast. And guess what? No more lying down! On Sunday we walked around three miles over sandy beach and Cadbury was fine. The week before we had a two hour walk without issue. And even our basic walk in the park, though he still edges towards home after half an hour, he doesn't lie down.

I still think he has low stamina for a lab. He had to lie down halfway through agility the other week, but otherwise this minor change has made vast improvements.

June, I still haven't been able to read your PM. I do wonder if the links to EIC in Cadbury's pedigree explain his low energy levels and why he can manage short burst of activity only. But now he is walking for long periods again I probably won't do the test.

A

·
0 Posts
He sounds similar to Alfie, i couldn't walk him before he had his breakfast.. infact i'm sure he would refuse to leave the house thinking i had forgot the most important thing lol i know when we went camping and mum took him and billy for a early morning walk before i got up and gave them their breakfast... alfie wouldn't go very far at all and kept sitting down refusing to move and looking back at the tent... mum tried it after they'd had breakfast and he was fine lol He's also learnt that if he;s out with my mum or dad, if he;s had enough and refuses to move then he gets to go home. infact its become a joke at weekends because my dad takes them out early an hour after their breakfast and we always ask how far he got with alfie lol some days he will walk the whole way round, other days he won't get further than the drive lol it's got worse the older he's got but funnily enough he has yet to try it on me. I know Alfie's isn;t health related because some days its not the fact he wants to come home, he just wants to go a different way or to a different field etc ( i call it stubborn and he has my parents wrapped round his paw) lol he has always been a very lazy lab too though. I'm glad you seem to have worked out a way around cadbury's issue though, i know it can be worrying not knowing why xx

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aw, Alfie. Guess Cadbury is not so unusual. Some people would be really pleased they didn't have to walk their dog far each day, lol, but I am always worrying about it! :lol:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My first lab Elsa was very similar. She was known as the fair weather dog and a bit of a diva. If she was bored of walking or didn't want to go on the beach she would plonk herself down and wait for us to turn back. She hated the rain, mud and snow, she would take to her bed on rainy days not even going in the garden. Her saving grace was she loved to do tricks and would happily play games of hide and seek, and do mini assault courses the children used to build in the garden. She also loved to dance and do fancy heel work weaving between my legs and little spins and stuff. It wasn't until we got our second lab that I realised what a lazy lump Elsa was. I properly would have worried about EIC but wasn't aware of it back then.

?

·
0 Posts
I think all these Lazy Labs must have a bit of Bassett Hound in them :wink:. I regularly used to see two. The owner would get out of his car, get the Bassetts out, they would then plonk their bums down on the first bit of grass they came to and he would go for a walk without them, while they waited for him to come back and got fuss from all the other dog walkers :lol: .

There are days when I'd love a little dollop of Bassett in my lot, as they don't understand not running about for as many hours as I can fit in every day :lol: .

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Elaine, it was only when I got Merlin that I realised how little Cadbury wanted to do :lol:

Jules, our family friends had a basset and she was definitely a lazy soul!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts