Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eating the garden … help !!
Please can anyone recommend a way of stopping Monty from stripping the garden of all my plants!! It’s like living with a giraffe!!
when he’s out in the garden he thinks it’s hilarious to run past the patio window with a branch of something!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giraffe? Count your lucky stars. I've got two goats apparently. I could have sworn they were labradors.
Honestly is a bl… dy nightmare I let him out and within minutes he’s got something!
He has toys, filled kongs and I’m trying to train him to “ leave it “ if I catch him in the act !
I wouldn’t mind if he just went for the weeds 🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honestly is a bl… dy nightmare I let him out and within minutes he’s got something!
He has toys, filled kongs and I’m trying to train him to “ leave it “ if I catch him in the act !
I wouldn’t mind if he just went for the weeds 🤦‍♀️
So far today we've had; rocks, sticks, paint flakes, a rubber gasket, a feather, a container for the paddling pool chemicals (empty and clean), a bamboo stick for holding up plants, a zip tie...

jeez...when you write it out like that it's crazy. I dread to think how many times today I've said "leave it".

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
You can have a reasonable garden, though I admit before Labradors my Dalmatian was a compulsive gardener.

I find some form of curb around a flower garden makes an easily understandable demarcation. Without this dogs see flower gardens as an extension of the lawn. With a curb dogs learn to identify this as a boundary not to be stepped over. Though I now only have the one flower garden as such. As I've got older I have gradually made the garden easier to look after, less time consuming. The other side of that fence are heathers surrounding my pond, with the summer house behind. The growth at the top of the garden beside the shed is my wild flower corner.

Plant Property Sky Cloud Leaf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can have a reasonable garden, though I admit before Labradors my Dalmatian was a compulsive gardener.

I find some form of curb around a flower garden makes an easily understandable demarcation. Without this dogs see flower gardens as an extension of the lawn. With a curb dogs learn to identify this as a boundary not to be stepped over. Though I now only have the one flower garden as such. As I've got older I have gradually made the garden easier to look after, less time consuming. The other side of that fence are heathers surrounding my pond, with the summer house behind. The growth at the top of the garden beside the shed is my wild flower corner.

View attachment 27392
We John we did use chicken wire and bamboo sticks when he was a lot smaller but then he grew and realised he could jump over them and trample them!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our lab thinks the garden is his playground - we’ve got random slabs and buckets scattered about where he’s dug holes. We find stones that he digs up and tosses around, I’ve even taken bits of glass off him that hes dug up. We rushed him to the vets after he ate a bee and got stung in his mouth.

At 14 months he seems to be getting out of it slightly - we hope.

We’re getting a raised bed built around my one flower bed and I keep things in pots or hanging baskets as far as possible

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used upside down hanging baskets to protect some delicate plants when they were growing...ive moved some pots to back of borders.
i can emphathise tho. My 8 month old lab x springer when she is in a hyper mode or being very silly loves to do some ' pruning'...our old dog never once went for a plant so its abit of a shock with this puppy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts