Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One early morning about six am monty started heaving trying to throw something up but he didnt seem to be struggerling in any way. He threw up two stones and not little ones they were fairly big big and round like the hight of a 2 pound coin ( this is hard to explain lol) I was sooooooo shocked and concerned! I was so curious as to how he swallowed it etc. IM VERY CONCERNED amd worried he might do it again and might not be so lucky as he was this time >??
IS THIS NORMAL ???
Rebecca

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your lab eating stones. It is something that you have to be very careful about. My lab Zack has had to have two operations in the past three weeks to remove stones from his bowels. These were largish stones that he had picked up in the garden. The first had damaged part of the bowel which had to be removed (he lost just over a foot of his bowel in total) and the toxins released by this damage almost killed him. We now keep him muzzled at all times when he is outside and are looking into arranging training to deal with the stone eating behaviour.

Our vet told us that we should bring him in if he hesitates when we put his food down (he usually starts eating as soon as the bowl hits the floor and then doesn't draw breath until he has finished the last crumb :lol: ) Also if he goes into the 'praying position' (front legs flat on the floor, hindquarters raised) he could have pain in his bowels so we've to phone for advice.

I hope monty doesn't have any more stone problems, but if he seems at all off colour contact your vet and explain about the stones. your vet should be happy to give advice over the phone.

Good luck and i hope monty steers clear of those stones!!

Elaine

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ssoooo much for that advise thats very important imformation. Im sorry to hear about zack i hope hes ok and he dosnt have any more problems with these stones. I didnt realise how serious it is so thanks very much and i will have to keep him away from these stones which will be very hard as theres loadsss in our garden lol !!
Thnaks again is there any more signs that hes swallowed some??
Thanks
Rebecca

·
Registered
22 Posts
Becca, glad to be of help.

The vet told us that the following are signs that your dog may have a blockage (which is when stone eating becomes serious!) can include: eating grass, frantically, to make themselves sick: hesitation or refusal at feeding time (it takes a lot to stop a lab eating); using the 'praying position' to alleviate discomfort. Also if your lab seems unusually down or depressed, or is moulting more than he should, these are signs of stress and can mean he is not well.

Hope this helps.

Elaine

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:? :( Thanks very much little bit worried now hes been eating alot of grass recently (but not throwing up) and he's been malting :? i think im just being a bit too protective now lol because there is definately NO hesitation with food :D :D :D lol But i will keep a close eye on him !!
THANKS VERY MUCH YOUVE BEEN GREAT HELP !!!
BECCA xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts