Labradors Forums banner

Eating Poop

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Boogs 
#1 ·
So, I know this has probably been talked about before on here, but my dog loves to eat his own poop.

Most of the time when we're with him (out in the garden or on a walk) we'll pick it up right away so the temptation is gone, but whenever we let him out in the garden on his own he will always eat it straight afterwards, even being sneaky and going behind the trees where we can't get to him.

He's done it ever since we got him, so I think it may be learnt behavior from his mother.

He doesn't do it out of hunger, because he does it after meals.
I don't think it's because of his food (lack of nutrients), because we switched it ages ago and it's made no difference.
We've tried tablets and they made no difference either.
I've tried a pet corrector spray and a sharp 'No' (which he normally listens to under normal circumstances), none of which work.

Plus, he seems to enjoy it, he'll have his tail wagging and lick his lips constantly afterwards.

I don't know whether it's time to contact a trainer/behaviourist, if anyone has tips or has had trouble with the same thing, please say anything that might help

Thanks. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Poppy used to eat her own poo (fortunately only her own and usually it had to be fresh :? ). She was on reasonably good food - Royal Canin and then Simpsons and she had done it since I got her at 14 weeks old. I have heard giving your dog pineapple juice sometimes works, but the only thing that has worked for me is putting her on a raw diet (but I know this doesn't suit everybody). I don't think she's necessarily feels more full (she would eat until she exploded if I let her), I just think that what comes out the other end is less palatable!

#3 ·
Coprohpagia is a common complaint of many dog owners and often it is just down to a obsessive behaviour, sometimes however it can be a sign that to dog is lacking is essential digestive enzymes (Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, or EPI)

http://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_coprophagia_dietary_supplements#.Uo4oSSemUtM

You can buy supplements that will help your dog, but you would need to see a vet to get a blood panel done.

#5 ·
Cat poo contain high amounts of protein and fat and extra elements, dogs have cravings for them, so they are extra attractive and the smell is obviously divine, Bean constantly races to the litter box when he hears our cat scratching it.

#8 ·
He only just recently ate cat poo for the first time, he dug it up from the mud, it was probably old and then he sicked it all up. Lovely!

I spoke to the vet about and she didn't seem concerned and suggested I put a muzzle on him when he's in the garden, but I thought he'd just push it through the muzzle and make a big mess, so I thought better of it.

Maybe it's something he'll always do as I don't think it's anything to do with his diet.

Any tips on trying to distract him. He knows 'leave' and is brilliant at it, but when it comes to poo, nothing will stop him, haha :?

#10 ·
Pepper doesn't eat her own, but poo to her is like Pate to me; irresistable.
That she listens to me and leaves them alone, often, is a miracle!

Cat poo is especially delicious, horse poo a second favourite, with other doggy poo a poor third!

Usually, my little hoover will suck it up before I can utter an instruction. But it does drive me nuts and so I've managed to recently shout a <NO> or <Leave It> if I see her head bow when on a walk!

Good luck!

Hannah & Pepper xx

#11 ·
I have two that are addicted to it. They don't eat their own but seem to choose which will do when out on a walk :pukeright: .

I clear up the garden as soon as they have been out, but when off lead on walks they do spend most of the time with nose down looking :twisted: :pukeleft: .

Lead walking is the only way I can stop mine as they have learnt to hunt as far away from me as possible so that I cannot intervene :roll: .

I would be interested in finding what is lacking in their diet, but with Bruno I really think his habit go's back to his early days and was more a case of survival, he still eats like every meal will be his last, where'as Mischa does take her time.

June

#13 ·
Cooper used to do it, never his own, but would sniff around at the park and then find something he can't resist. The first time he did it, I ran home and brushed his teeth!!!
He tried cat poo, fox poo, cow poo, horse poo...
But it seemed to have stopped now, not sure why. We do a lot of lead walking so perhaps that gives me more control to say <no> and pull him away, but he hasn't tried to do it recently.

#14 ·
I havent read all the comments, as i havent much time, but Burt used to do this a lot, until we changed his food, im sure i was told somewhere (maybe on here) that some foods contain so much flavoring they cannot digest it, then when they poop it out, it smells like food to them. We found when we put him on a better quality food brand he stopped, He still eats fox poop and all, but not his own anymore. Hope that helps x

#15 ·
Our girl Kenzie eats her 'brother's' poo. I will one day post a pic but she sometimes tries to eat it as Fergus is doing his business - it doesn't even hit the ground! "Leave it" works if I catch her, but she shows no signs of giving up when we are not looking. We feed her a balanced diet (Artemis kibble, supplemented with veggies, regular addition of beef heart, liver, chicken necks, meaty bones etc etc.) so don't think its diet.
Fergus does not eat dog poo, but loves possum poo (as does Kenzie, <sigh>)
Just have to live with it and make sure I run from her 'hello daddy' licks just after she has consumed her little treats..... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.