Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hello one & all I am a new member to the site, I have a 14 Month old Choclate Lab called Louis who is amazing (but then again we all think that of our dogs !!!) since the age of about 6 months he has had a problem with what we first believed to be an allergy, he used to get very irritated skin & his ears where very red & itchy also producing some dark brown nasty smelling wax (sorry all) after several fairly hefty courses of antibiotics & a couple of food changes (he is now on James Wellbeloved, Hypo Allergenic) he seems to be much better, however although his skin irritation has gone he still regularly gets poorly ears (one more so than the other) which are bad for a couple of days but after a good clean & some cream on they clear up sometimes for a while but sometimes only for a few days, after his last outbreak we took him to the vets who after looking at his ears said that there was no infection deep in his ear only around the top part & his ear flap. Has anyone got any suggestions what it may be & what we can do to sort it out, although it doesnt seem to bother him too much apart from shaking his head occasionally it would make his owners very happy - Thanks !!!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Louis43,

Welcome to Labforums, and of course welcome to your chocolate Lab Louis!

Sorry to hear about his ear problems, probably the best advice i could give you would be to go back to your vets, or maybe get a second opinion. If the problem has been going on a little while, and doesn't clear up with antibiotics - it's puzzling what the underlying cause is. There is some useful info on this link:

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ears.html

Maybe someone else can advise you further, i hope you get some answers soon...

You could also try posting on our sister website, www.vetpro.co.uk where your post will be answered by veterinary staff.

Keep us posted, all the best to yourself and Louis,

Julie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts