Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years now we have had trips to the vets for CleanAural or alike for Leo's ears, to wash them out. The vet tells me this is just a gentle saline solution so I can use it every day if need be etc.

But, it got me thinking. Now don't laugh please if this is a daft question but wouldn't the saline solution you can buy for contact lenses and alike do the same job (at about 5% of the cost) or are there different types of saline solutions? I can't help but think if it is OK for eyes then it would be OK for ears?

Or am I having a really daft moment and missing something blatantly obviously :oops:

Vicki

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Not sure about the contact lens solution, but I have definately heard about white vinegar having a good use for cleaning dogs ears.

I have to admit I have never done it, but it definately has a wide range of uses, albeit a bit whiffy.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
If you look at the list of what CleanAural contains it shows Isopropyl Alcohol and this is what my vet is not keen on at all.

He recommends olive oil as I mentioned in Sarah's thread.

G

·
Does CleanAural have a smell, as I've used Leo Ear Cleaner before and I'm sure it's not just Saline Solution as it stinks to high heaven (I hate it)? Saline Solution has no smell, so if there is any whiff, it ain't just salty water. :wink:

G

·
Cross posted with Jill.

I'd rather go down the warm Olive Oil route too, if necessary, as any alcohol based products will strip the ear of it's natural protective waxes.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think it does smell Jules, so it must have other stuff in it too.

Just looked at the contents are listed as:

Aqua, propylene glycol, isoproyl alcohol, tromethamine, citric acid, l-menthol, chlorothymol, sodium lauryl sulphate

Maybe I'll give the olive oil a try as Jill suggests - got to be cheaper than bucket loads of cleanaural.

Vicki

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
My 'old' vet, that I eventually left because of one problem after another, used to just prescribe Canaural ear drops, and CleanAural, for Indie, who had a recurring infection. It never cleared the problem up properly, and didn't even really keep the problem away, just seemed to keep it at a level she could tolerate.

I use thornit now that the problems with her ears are under control, and that works really well, although the olive oil idea sounds good as well.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I've just found out what happened to my last little bottle of cleanaural ear drops - Sydney very kindly took the bottle into the garden to chew on :? Havent been able to find them and had a feeling he might have had something to do with it - Pud of course is made up that his little brother helped him out with the pesky eardrops! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Not sure if this fits but my Koa was having terrible problems with her ears, really dirty, smelly and made her uncomfortable and our vet prescribed Canural drops at least four times in one year. They eventually asked us to have blood tests to see if she was allergic to anything, and to no surprise she is allergic to house dust mites and a few other nasty creatures.

Anyhow, she is now on a monthly vacine which protects her against them and in approx one year she has never had the problems with her ears.

I keep them clean with warm water just a quick weekly check is all she needs now.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else is having any of the same problems.

It is known for labs to have ear problems...and our last lab was also true to form - bless her!

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Vicki, I use a saline solution to swill them out if they've been swimming and are prone to ear infections, I used to do this with Basils as it's what I do with my ears!

For preventative I use thornit.

For Nellie, who is currently having ear problems of excessive gunk I have been using olive oil to help soften it.

I have been reading about washing dogs ears with white vinegar and water (50/50) but haven't done so due to the alcohol content - this is fine on normal ears but if there are any cuts or sores etc it will sting and irritate the ear further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts