Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Angus just loves stuffed animals. The problem is since he now has his adult teeth, he rips them apart in about one day. I have tried some of the Booda Stuffed Animals which they claim to be more durable. They may last Angus for three days and they are torn also. Does anyone know where to buy stuffed animals that last a long time for a tough chewer?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, don't know about ones that last a long time, but howz about buying some from boot fairs? You can get them for 10p to 50p each so at least you can afford for them to be destroyed!

Rosie

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Brenda - Shadow adores anything thats furry and squeeks/honks, but until a couple of years afo they never lasted more than a few days. The best toys he got were the rope kind of "tuggys" that are in the shadpe of a bone and the rubber funny shaped things that bounce all over the place! Now that he's calmed down (only slightly!) he has several soft toys - webster the duck, Susie the strawberry and Bertie the dog have all lasted almost a year and are firm favourites. Sorry not to be any help :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
I asked this on another forum a while ago and all the dozens of replies I got were - sorry, no such thing as a durable soft toy! :( They all advised me to get cheap toys from charity shops so it didn't matter when they were horribly murdered and their entrails strewn about the house... So that's what we now do. They still have the kongs etc, but I know how ours really love their soft cuddly toys so charity shop ones (or boot fair ones as a previous poster said) enable them to indulge in their regular massacres to their heart's content. Baby toys tend to be a little bit tougher than dog toys and they don't have anything dangerous that can be pulled off and swallowed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for responding. I had never thought of just going and buying cheap toys. I am going to do that until he gets older. When he gets a little older, maybe he won't be so hard on his stuffed animals. I had tried some stuffed animals that said, "Very Durable". I found out that they were not so durable. LOL He just loves stuffed animals, but I agree I don't think there are any that will outlast my aggressive chewer. LOL Brenda

·
Registered
286 Posts
I thought "duarable stuffed animal" was a definition of a well fed Labrador. :lol:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

On a slightly different note, I was concerned at first as I couldn't find many 'cuddly' toys without eyes etc that Smudge could have torn off and swallowed. So I actually bought baby cuddly toys for him! Well made and without problem bits, they were perfect! I managed to find a lovely 'Spencer' bear for him in M&S's pre-Christmas sale, and he loves it!

Best of luck with your search. I'm very lucky in that Smudge doesn't rip his cuddly toys to shreads......he just does other more embarassing things with them!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
421 Posts
rubber toe

When Barney nicks one of my daughters 'beaney baby' soft toys he just seems to gently chew and cuddle it. I thought that was due to his 'gun dog' genes, where thay are trained to retrieve fowl without 'spoiling' it.

Generally he only kills the cute little stuffed pig or duck when he is with his friend Tess, a border collie, when the said stuffed toy is in the middle of a tug of war session.

I have even taken to drawing around the severed bits of body with a piece of chalk like a police scenes of crime incident.

I never gave him soft material toys when he was a pup so he wouldn't get confused and think my soft material jumpers and fleeces were toys and fair game too!

All his toys were rubber...and I don't have any rubber clothes...honest!

Do they really need soft toys? Barney seems happiest with his bones and rubber toys.

By the way...what do you call an Italian with a rubber toe?

Roberto!

John

www.marsupialelvis.com

Rubber toe joke brought out of retirement for your pleasure courtesy of 'The old jokes home'

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Angus does like his Kongs and his bouncy balls, but his favorite thing is stuffed animals. My grandma was telling me about a store called Jubilee where she has bought second hand stuffed animals very cheap. I am going to look there sometime. Great joke, Marsupial. LOL Brenda

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I get my dog bens stuff toys from the boot sales, his favorite is a white bear which he seems to suck the head of while falling asleep! Strange dog. :lol: Baby toys are good too, no eyes and noses to chew off!

cristina

1 - 11 of 11 Posts