Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dummy bag and its great But its doing my back no favours. As its across the body it pulls down on one side esp once loaded up with dummies etc. I've seen people with these jacket type bags, which have dummy pouches at the sides and back.

If anyone knows what i mean, can anyone recommend one? Esp interested if any women have them and how comfortable they are and what size i should get? are they adjustable so i don't get the pockets round my knees???

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks... off to look.

not to worried if i get myself on a shoot as OH will be there to carry birds :wink:

but its these blinking dummies that i need help with as OH isn't always available to act as my pack horse :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
There are quite a few of them around now - they used to be a must have falconers aid but has now been 'nicked' by gundog people :lol: .You can get canvas ones, heavy duty nylon ones and leather ones and most of them comes in different sizes.

I've got one which is kind of mid size with smaller pockets at the front and bigger one at the back. TBH, I don't really use it that much when training as I tend not to carry that many dummies around in my dummy bag anyway so it's not that heavy. Maybe, have a 'clear out' in your dummy bag? 3 dummies and a couple of tennis balls will get you a long way at a day to day training session 8) 8)

Natasha

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oooh liking these. I like the fact the black gundog one is modelled by a woman so i know it will fit!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Natasha... thats all i'm carrying but have issues with my back and even 3 x 1lbs dummies are causing problems at the moment as my back is bad. :roll: I brought a smaller size game bag so i didn't fill it up :lol: can still loose whistles and leads at the bottom tho! :roll:

·
Registered
97 Posts
The training vest that I use is from

Blackgundog.com

Very practical and like you say saves shoulder and back ache, although get ready for all the comments re parachutes etc :) :) usually from people that are walking lop sided with a dummy bag!! :D

Buffy

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh thanks jill, might just do that :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've got three of those type of jackets, and I use them all the time, they are just the job for the Grouse moor, but also for walked up shooting over the cockery types, as well as general training use.

The other big advantage for me, is you can put the camera in the back pouch as well :wink:

Andrew

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have the GDK one but am less than impressed with it, would use it for training at a push but not for picking up, I bought an american gamebag on ebay thats a camo rucksack as a gamebag it's superb has attachable game hooks and everything, will try and find them agai, priced about £30 including postage.
Nic

·
Administrator
20,994 Posts
As a thought for you about jackets Sam, What about summer in shirt sleeves and winter in heavy sweaters and jackets? Do people find they need two different sizes, one for summer and one for winter?

Regards, John

·
Administrator
20,994 Posts
I was thinking about Sam Jill, My game bag, and a game carrier does for me. Any more and they can carry them themselves :wink:

Still not sure why I end up carrying more than anyone else, but I've a feeling we have a few pickpocket experts on the shoot working in reverse! :lol:

John :)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'm looking to get something like this too, as I find the game bag is all very well, but when I lean forward to take the dummy it swings round and wallops the dog on the head! However I have been told by other ladies that you have to be careful as some of the ones with straps are designed for men, and if ladies have bumps that men don't, the straps slide about and can be very uncomfortable! I plan to have a look at the Edenbridge and Oxted show, if I get there on Monday, and try a few on.

I have never used my game bag for picking up, as I use the game carriers. Am I unusual? We all use game carriers on our shoot.

Katy

·
Registered
312 Posts
Black Gundog's are excellent quality. I know that Laura has just spent a great deal of time getting that right recently.

As a fairly tall person who's always had tall dogs I've never had a problem with just using a game bag. However, my current youngster is a tad shorter in the leg than I'm used to, and I've found that my bag swings down and clonks her when she's delivering..... :wink:

So, it was obviously time for a change, and I have to say it was great when up on the rabbits recently. Highly recommended.

Kate

·
Administrator
20,994 Posts
I have never used my game bag for picking up, as I use the game carriers. Am I unusual? We all use game carriers on our shoot.
Not at all. Carriers are better than bags because they allow the bird to cool quicker. But the down side is that you can have birds loosing blood on your clothes. Generally the birds are out of my bag and hanging on the game cart in minutes.

Regards, John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts