Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took all the hounds down to the beach today oh what fun they found the pockets of sea water..lol..(rosze has never been in water in the 3weeks we have had her)
and well lets just say they took to it like a duck to water...lol..
everyone diving out the way at 2 very soggy sandy dogs go bounding towards them with lil charlie running behind..lol..

anyway get them home they stink so in the bath for a shower they go

when i was drying rosze i noticed the fur underneath was like a ducklings downing feathers ive never noticed this before??? brandy doesnt have any why?..lol.

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
A Labrador should have a double coat. The undercoat is fine and downy whereas the outer coat is a coarser stiffer coat. The top coat is the waterproof coat whereas the undercoat is the heat insulator.

Unfortunately there are Labradors lacking in undercoat and this is a fault both in the show ring and undesirable for obvious reason in working dogs.

Another thing is that the two coats do not moult at quite the same time. I find the outer coat seems to change first followed by the undercoat, so it could just be that Brandy has lost his undercoat but not yet grown much of the new. Keep an eye on it and in a month or so you might find it growing back.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi john :)

does it have anything ot do with age??

since rosze is only 7 1\2mths and she has this downy undercoat which amazed me wasnt wet at all..lol..

and brandy she is 6yrs old and doesnt seem to have it does it go as she is a older dog now??

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
At Rosze's age she may well still have some puppy coat mixed up in there.

Describing the undercoat and top coat is a little difficult but if you run a comb through the coat on the back and look and the hairs, some will be straight and harsh. If you push the end on into your skin it will feel quite stiff. Others will be a lot finer, soft and often quite crinkly. The stiff lays on the surface and forms the waterproof top coat and the soft is the warm undercoat.

Incidentally, when drying your dog on a towel, always run the towel from front to back, never backwards and forwards. Towelling from front to back squeegees the water off of the coat. On the forward stroke of backwards and forwards you are pushing the waterproof top coat back and wetting the soft inner coat soaking the dog to the skin!

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops i dont really do any forward or backward motion when im drying them if its hot outside i let them dry naturally but today i just rubbed them doen in sorta circles..lol..then they try to eat my towel..lol..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts