Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We have a lab who is nearly 3. For at least 2 years now he has suffered with dryness around his eyes, which he rubs and therefore makes them bleed resulting in them being even worse. We have had visit after visit to the vet, had skin scrapings taken, various eye drops etc. We have tried him on sensitive kibble, a raw meat diet. Tried moistening it with Vaseline and many herbal remedies. Have tried the ‘non stinky stuff’ on his food. We are just at a loss. The vet has palmed us off now with ‘it’s something he may grow out of’ like a junior hay fever type issue, but we just can’t get it under control and feel so sorry for him. Any patch of grass he can find, he’s rubbing his face along it. When we are walking, he tries to run his face on our legs, so it is absolutely bothering him. Please help!

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
There are several things it could be including an allergy. But the fact that your vet is saying it's something he may grow out of makes me think that he/she is favouring Demodectic Mange. I stress this is not Fox mange, thats Sarcoptic Mange, a totally separate thing. Your vet will likely need to do a skin scrape to check for this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are several things it could be including an allergy. But the fact that your vet is saying it's something he may grow out of makes me think that he/she is favouring Demodectic Mange. I stress this is not Fox mange, thats Sarcoptic Mange, a totally separate thing. Your vet will likely need to do a skin scrape to check for this.
Thank you for your quick response. He has had a skin scrape to test for Mange which all came back negative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case it's almost certainly an allergy. In an older dog it could be hormonal, but thats unlikely in a 3 year old.
We also think it is allergy related but just don’t know what. I have taken away all the air fresheners around the house a good while ago now, I changed the washing powder to non bio for his bedding and towels, we’ve varied his food. We’ve eliminated chicken as the guy in the raw food shop said that many dogs are sensitive to chicken. Clueless!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts