Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brushing fudge today and noticed lots if dry skin flakes comes off her

It's on the center of her back around middle to her backed

Does she need some specific shampoo or do I need to take her to the vets?

She has been on same food for a few months and is regularly flee and work treated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Mine tend to get a bit scurvy after I brush them! A 'selling' vet once insisted I needed medicated shampoo... I didn't use it! Mine swim a lot in a mixture of hydro pool and wild and are walked daily in mud, rain etc. Their fur protects them a lot and they are feed a salmon food with lots of oils. Unless the dry skin is lots, appearing all the time, causes discomfort to them, occurs with other symptoms I just leave it to sort itself out. I tend to only notice it when they moult big, Luna got dry skin when on meds and rest after an op, I did nothing, it disappeared once she'd recovered.

Perhaps try adding some salmon oil to her food for a while or just leave alone for a week and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Forgot to add I think it is natural for skin flakes to form if that get wet and stay wet for a while and that patch of fur at the back above their tail is thick and takes a while to dry out fully. Luna stays wet hours and hours after hydro swims as I think the chemicals can strip oils and she has a thicker undercoat than tucker. A towelling coat has defo sped up the drying process and probably helped to reduce the dry skin forming. Perhaps give fudge a good towel off there after a swim!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Could also be the central heating. One of my labs used to get flaky skin in the winter months and our old vet put it down to her love of her plonking her self next to the radiator.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luna-Tuck said:
Forgot to add I think it is natural for skin flakes to form if that get wet and stay wet for a while and that patch of fur at the back above their tail is thick and takes a while to dry out fully. Luna stays wet hours and hours after hydro swims as I think the chemicals can strip oils and she has a thicker undercoat than tucker. A towelling coat has defo sped up the drying process and probably helped to reduce the dry skin forming. Perhaps give fudge a good towel off there after a swim!
She normally swims everyday im the summer tho as its dark now I don't get to take her to the reservoir as much and yesterday ahd put her paw in and decided she didn't want to go in anyway as it must have been too cold lol.

Also it got very cold her for a week or so there and now back up to around 10/11 degree and she seems to be shedding her coat again so it might be that too?

Ill leave it for a week or so and see if it gets better

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elsarivka said:
Could also be the central heating. One of my labs used to get flaky skin in the winter months and our old vet put it down to her love of her plonking her self next to the radiator.
I haven't seen her near the radiators but she could be when im out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts