Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

my 9 month old male Choc Lab, Schuey has a good shine off his coat but it feels very dry. He also has what looks like dandruff on top of his coat and when you look at his skin it looks grey and flaky at the roots of his hair - especially around his collar (that is quite loose).

He doesn't scratch a lot but he does bend down and rub his neck and back along the ground while using him back legs to push himself forward. He then rolls and squirms around on his back.

Also, it seems that he doesn't like to be petted or rubbed around the neck or back area - he would move away or turn his head. After he is petted or rubbed he always gives a good shake.

When we got him first his coat was a bit dull, greasy and there was small flakes of skin in his coat, his coat also smelt bad. The vet suggested cod liver oil in his food. I put cod liver oil in his food daily and it has improved the look and smell of his coat, is it ok to use cod liver oil?
Can too much cod liver oil be bad?

I give him a dried food called Pedro Gold ( I'll get the contents up later) twice a day, I always soak it. Does anyone else use Pedro Gold? Should I give him the food dry?

Sorry for all the questions.

I hope you guys can help.

Cheers,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there - we have a 6 month old choccie lab - Archie. For the first 2 months or so after we brought him home he was the same as in he was always itching, and biting his legs and paws particularly. We switched his food to James Wellbeloved - and they do different types for sensitive skin and/or itchy coat and he seems to be much better. His coat is definitely shinier and he only scratches every now and then usually when he has been in the garden etc.

I do still notice small dandruffy bits on his back but seeing as he hardly ever scratches and he just loves his neck being rubbed it isn't something we are too concerned with, though we will check it out next time we see the vet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, Is it possible that Schuey's collar is irritating him? It does sound strange that he doesn't like being petted around his collar area. i also have a choc lab six months old and i was surprised how oily and waterproof her coat was when I got her. When it rains the water just says on top for ages. She also has flakes of what looks like dandruff and she is not as shiny as her black labrador friends but luckily she is not itchy at all. I take off her collar and give her a brush with a zoom groom (when I can get her to keep still for long enough) and then I finish off with a wipe with a clean chamois leather and this makes her coat shine. It is only my personal opinion but I don't believe in giving supplements in case they turn out to harmful in the wrong dose. I feed her on Bakers complete junior with a tablespoon of chappie because she won't eat dry food. When we first got her she did smell but since we have changed her food that has gone away.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Chocky,

I also have a chocolate lab and give her oil from the pet shop especially for skin and coat. If you keep to the recommended dose and buy one with no additives there should be no problem. I don't know if it is the case with your dog, but some dogs just don't like being touched on the head, neck and shoulders. This is what dogs do to assert dominance over each other. They can also shake after a 'tense' moment, this releases the tension. You might notice it after a dog has been told off or they don't understand what is wanted of them. This may not be the case with your dog, but it is something to be aware of.

Rosie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning everyone,

thanks for all the replies and advice.

A shake after a tense moment, that sounds very possible because he is still a bit nervous, but he does love to get attention and he always comes looking for a rub.

I always keep his collar lose, it is nylon (I think) with padding on the inside and metal buckle and eyes. I might change it to a leather one, what do you think?

Is cod liver oil ok for him? I might be giving him too much.

What other oils are available?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi ****
It's difficult to say without seeing it, but I agree with RosieW that it could be that he doesn't like being touched on top of the head.
but he does bend down and rub his neck and back along the ground while using him back legs to push himself forward. He then rolls and squirms around on his back.
and this too could be just playing, lots of dogs do this as part of play.
Assuming that your vet has ruled out any medical causes, then it could be that his food does not suit him. If there was one food that suited all dogs then I think the company would put all others out of business. :D
I have no personal experience of Pedro Gold, so can't comment, but even the so called 'good' foods, will not agree will all dogs.
Personally, I would avoid cod liver oil. It contains high levels of Vitamins A & D and in excess can cause liver problems, instead I'd use fish body oils.
HTH :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lablover,

where do you get the fish body oil? And what quantities do you give?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Shuey,I give Dylan sardines and pilchards in the cans every week,they have omega 3 in them good for bones and coat and he loves them and it helps his bones too as he already has arthritis at the age of 15 months.Lynne.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Lancelot
I give them the ones in tomato sauce usually, if not in oil, although I drain most of the oil off. I don't give the ones in brine because of the high salt content, and I just mix with the complete.
HTH :)

G

·
Hi ****

My lab Corrie often rolls about on the ground rubbing his chin, rubs it on the carpet too. Used to do it alot but not these days. I found that spinach has helped. Below is an excert I put on another thread, just incase it is of any use.

"As for chewing himself, he has had a few problems mainly a very itchy chin (scratching it until it used to bleed) and also constant chewing of his paws! The paw problems I have just about eliminated by trimming the fur between his pads regularly - the vet recommended this. As for itchy chin and skin the vet at one point put him on steroids but I didn't want him being on them all the time. About two years ago I was reading a Labrador rescue newsletter and there was an article about itchy skin and that spinach was good for it. If I remember rightly it recommnded giving a dog one desert spoons of liquidised fresh spinach twice a day. I did this for a while but liquidising the spinach became a pain. Now what I do is I buy frozen spinach from Tescos which comes in small blocks - I just pop one block in the microwave to defrost it and mix it in with his daily meal, it has really worked and he hardly scratches his chin at all now"

Sam

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help folks.

I stopped putting in the cod liver oil at the weekend. I think I will give the sardines (once a week) a try for a number of months. I like the ones in tomato sauce myself, there are always a few tins in the house.

I tried giving Schuey the food dry but he didn't seem to like it as much and left some in the bowl. I'll try again.

Thanks for the information on the spinach Cozwaz, depending on how we get on with the sardines we might give it a go. Schuey seems to be itchy around the neck and behind his ears, I've seen him rub his neck on the decking as well as the grass but not to the extent were he draws blood.

Cheers,

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
****,try giving Shuey tuna in brine or sardines or pilchards in brine as well,just drain well, or if you feel better rinse them under water so you dont have anything on them,i have never tried Dylan with the sauce one,all my boys have had brine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told to put a dribble of extra virgin olive oil on Angus's food for a healthy shiny coat. I haven't tried it yet but was thinking of doing it. Has anyone heard of this or know if it is a good thing for dogs?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've heard that oliver oil is good but haven't tried it. We use it all the time at home for cooking etc. The Italian's, Spanish etc swear by it for good human health, why not for our best friends?

I wonder if Schuey will like fish?? I'll find out soon and let you guys know!

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
dry/itchy skin and coat

Hi **** Just read your piece on Schueys problem with his coat and skin afew years ago i bought a puppy called Max (not from areputable breeder ) im sorry to say, but i had endless concerns over his coat and skin and he would not put much in the way of weight on, i found out at a later date that he he had a worming problem which i promptly sorted and with the help of a shampoo that I got from the vet called Saleen his problem went away Through my contacts in the dog showing world i have found out about a couple of companies that deal in doggie stuff they might be of help!! www. nutroproducts.com www.dorwest.com www. vet-medic.com Bye for now, brighteye Hope these web pages help in some way!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts