Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddie LOVES retrieving - balls, sticks (finds 'em himself, then just strips it!), frisbees, air kong etc, anything.... but for love nor money I cannot get him to drop the blimmin' thing so that I can throw it again for him!! He tends to prance around, rolling it about/waggling it at me to play and then its a battle to get it off him! He LOVES being chased (we don't do it but other dogs do!) and will bash my leg with the toy for me to grab it and do tug a war but just won't drop it!! Today, I was determined to teach him (again! :oops: ) - took hotdogs with me and tried rewarding when he let go but the crazy lab prefers his toy to a hotdog!!! I have got to the stage where if I can put my foot on it to stop him running off, then he will leave it until told he can get it but just won't fetch and drop it!! Any help - PLEASE!!!???

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Great post... I want Winnie to leave/drop things too but he drops them about a meter away for a treat so im very intrested in the response to this comment!! :D

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Having a second toy worked for us! Until Luna had dropped the toy she had we wouldn't throw the second. It took a while for her to twig on but we said 'drop' EVERYTIME she released the toy and eventually she learnt that dropping what she had meant another chase to fetch other toy.

She's fine with just one toy now so it worked for us!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmmm, good idea!! Will try it tomorrow. Have tried it with balls in the past and he occassionally would look at me as if to say "you fetch that one coz I really want that one in your hand!!" But will try it again :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm sorry to be an old bag but it sounds to be a variation on the problem recall theme :(

I would suggest you go back to basics and do some work on a long line. Take him out to play with the line on his collar and throw the toy, call him back in and encourage that with the long line. If he comes in easily (ish) and hands it over nicely then he gets to play again. If he ignores you or won't hand over then enforce it as you have control with the longline and take it off him and end of play with no fuss.

Keep this up and don't waver and he'll soon pick up that good behaviour = longer play time. Bad behaviour = game over.

Don't try to tell him to leave it, drop it, give or what ever command you give it if he's "off line" and you can't enforce it. Train for success :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We had this problem - when Roo brought the ball back, we just carried on walking and completely ignored him. He would eventually drop it as we wouldn't throw it for him and did not try and get it off him - it got boring for him I guess - then when he dropped it we got it and gave him loads of praise. So my advice is to ignore him until he drops it off his own accord. Roo soon learnt that he was only going to fetch it again if he dropped it. Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i would train that first in the house in a long little place (all doors closed :wink: )
not just throw it, but let him sit, go and put it on the floor, send him with a clear verbal signal...
and give him a treat.

if this work, than go in the garden, or a place where are not other dogs around

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this problem with Tilly.
each evening I throw her a toy and as soon as she picks it up I use a clicker.
She soon learnt that means bring it back and drops it in front of me knowing I have a treat for her.
Within a short time we have got this down to a fine art.
she now sits wail I throw the toy, and waits for me to say fetch before running off.
then I could be just lucky or she's a lot smarter than she lets on :O)

Lab Rules:

If I like it, even just a little bit. Then its mine.
If its in or near my mouth, then its mine.
If I can take it from you, then its mine.
If I had it for just a little wail, then its mine.
If I am chewing something up, then all the pieces are mine.
Even the little bits.
If it looks even remotely like mine, then its mine.
If I saw it first, even if you think you did.
then its still mine.
If you are playing with something and put it down
It automatically becomes mine.
If its broken...then its yours :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts