Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone got any ideas of how i can give ben something to do that does not involve food! My lab ben is only allowed 10 mins walk a day on the lead, as he is recovering from an opp on his leg so he can't play,run or jump around. He is driving us potty, all he does is pinch every thing he can get hold of. A difficult one i know.But if anyone can think of anything, please HELP!!!!! :(

cristina

·
Registered
244 Posts
How about hiding some of his toys around the house and encouraging him to find them? I find that a training session that really gets their brains working can tire them out as much as a run around, so you could really use the opportunity to do some fun things - like teach him the names of his toys and get him to bring them to you from another room. We've also got an IQube, which is a cube made of soft material with four squashy, squeaky balls in it that the dog can try to get out - then you put them all back in again so he can start again! Not something to leave down for long though as it won't stand up to chewing.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

thanks for the suggestions, we do give him a few training sessions a day but he seems to still have loads of energy :lol: I will try your idea about hiding some toys around the house (although he is not that toy motivated,more food!). But its worth a try. Is there anywhere on-line you can get a iQube and i've never seen/heard of one?

Thanks
Cristina

G

·
Hi Cristina,

The hiding thing works with food too.. and as swillsy said, often some intense training can tire them out quite well.

With Oscar, we make him sit at the end of the lounge and then we walk round pretending to put a tiny bit of treat in lots of different places - under the nest of tables, under the TV, next to the sofa etc - but actually only put it in one of those places.

Then when we say "go find it" he gets up and has to use his nose to work out which place we left it in. He spends ages going to every single place we've been (but usually in reverse order) sniffing loudly as he goes until he finds it. :lol:

I think he could probably play that game all day - he loves it :D

HTH, Sarah x

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the links, I have just brought him a large iQube. Looking at all those toys made me think, isn't it amazing what our dogs will do for treats! There are so many treat motivated toys! It's just food, food,food! :lol:

Cristina

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for idea, I shall give your one a try too. Hopefully with all these ideas he should be tired in no time!!!!!! :D He does make a very strange sound when he is sniffing hopefully we won't put him off by laughing (I'll have to hold it in). :D

Cristina

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
crst644 said:
He does make a very strange sound when he is sniffing hopefully we won't put him off by laughing (I'll have to hold it in). :D

Cristina
Hi Cristina

I think I know the noise you mean! It makes me laugh too!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You could also try giving him ice cubes to play with - they're not quite food! Angus loves them & will chase them around the kitchen floor before crunching them.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Thanks to those who recommended the IQube, Ben got his this morning and he loves it! He has been playing with it for about an hour now, Although he did play with the box it came in for a while too, and managed to get his head stuck in it :lol: But he has now gone to sleep and i've put it away so he can have another play later.

Cristina

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
That's good news ! Glad he likes it :D

Corbie likes to play with the squeaky balls once he's got them out and he'll go around the house with one in his mouth going 'squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak....'! :lol:

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Karen,

I know what you mean! squeak, squeak, squeak ahh! Ben walks around with the box bit you put them in over his nose looking at the balls on the floor! He has tried to put them back in, but they take some pushing to squeeze them back in. Shows there's some intelligence I suppose! Even if he did get his head stuck in the packaging box :lol:

Cristina

1 - 12 of 12 Posts