Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay; I want to ask a question regarding potty pee's.

Sonny is 9-weeks today and over the last 9-10 days I have recorded him a few times going outside for a pee and then a pee again straight after it.

I think the first time was during the night last week maybe Wednesday last week; I had taken him out when he woke up at around half 4; he done a pee but I somehow never gave him the chance to poo; I took him back in his crate inside and normally he would just go straight back to sleep with no fuss. He had a protest about it this time; but I let him be as I thought well he has just done a pee; I tired to ignore him but he wasn't for being quiet. I then realised I hadn't really given him the chance to poo so maybe that's it. My mum got up and ended up letting him back out; apparently he done another pee and then put him back in his crate and went straight to sleep. So in the space of 10minutes or so more he had done two pee's.

A couple nights later; I noticed it myself before bed; I had him outside for a pee and he done one; I continued to provide the cue word in order to try get a poo too but he went and done another pee.

Anyway it's happened now just a small handful of times since last Saturday and I'm thinking here; How? --- Rare but he will maybe do the pee again a minute or so inbetween if he's still outside and I continue to provide cue word. Or if I have him outside to pee then take him in and then 5-10minutes later; take him back out and he will pee again.

So... Is he really that smart at 9-weeks that he's faking a pee for a treat, or is he really that smart at 9-weeks he's learned to go on cue which I very highly doubt. But it must be something because surely if he's just done a pee then he's empty ???

Also.. May I note that I haven't always provided a treat after potty during the night. Also; when he finishes either a potty pee or poo he does look at me and come in my direction; perhaps certainly looking for a it.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I don't use treats for toilet training purely because pups will quickly learn to squat for a treat rather than actually pee. I just praise with my voice.

Having said that most of my pups, including the one I have here at the moment, do tend to pee twice so its a good idea to give them plenty of time outside before rushing back in out of the cold and rain :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts