Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 14 week old lab puppy won’t do the toilet outside!! I can have hi out for a walk or just out in the garden and he won’t do anything but as soon as we go inside he will go straight to the puppy pad!! Any tips would be grateful received thank you in advance J

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
There are two things involved here.

1/ Discouragement from going indoors. Initially a pup will go in the puppy pen or puppy run because that's where they are, literally the limit of their world. They simply go wherever they are. And this pretty much holds good until we collect our puppy and bring it home. So it's not really a surprise that it continues this in it's "forever home," It knows no different. But puppies tend to go where they have been before, literally a toilet area. So it's essential that we clear up properly, and REALLY remove ALL the smell! Dogs sense of smell is so much stronger than ours, and just washing the floor is not sufficient! You can get sprays from pet shops to spray the area to neutralise the smell, but biological washing powder, mixed in a bucket is a good substitute.

2/ Encouraging going outside. Building up a routine of taking the pup out regularly, waiting until he's been then really praising him, so he understands that he's please. Just to have the door open so he can come and go as he pleases is not enough in the early stage because he has no idea that this is what we want him to do! How could he? As I said above, until now he has always been in the habit of going wherever he is when the feeling takes him! When I say taking him out regularly we are talking about after every meal plus every hour to begin with. I find you soon start to get an idea of the frequency required. Personally I don't encourage my dogs to go when out for a walk. I figure it's my dog so my mess, and I don't want other people being disadvantaged by it. I do find it an advantage to teach a command for urinating and defecating. The command I use is "Be quick," giving it every time it see my pup making ready to go. At night I take my pup out immediately before going to bed (normally about 11pm) I also get up around 1am, again at around 3am. Usually I find my pups will go through until about 6am. I know this sounds like hard work, but it pays off. If I find the pup does not need to go that frequently I space it out more, only getting up once in the night instead of twice. In fact my Amy was clean and dry all night in just 3 days and Chloe managed it in 5 days.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I had this problem with my current youngster, for no other reason than she was born in my kitchen, and the layout of my house makes it difficult for me to get a pup into an outdoor area without going downstairs, or getting other dogs out of the way so we can go out the front door, but all that takes time and of course puppies can't hold on forever. So I'd frequently go through to the kitchen to find a puddle, exactly where all the pups had pee'd on their puppy pad in the pen, they had all got used to going in 'that corner' for the most part, and when all the other pups eventually went to their new homes, Branta continued to use 'that corner' oblivious to the fact that I would prefer if she went outside. As I said, she was too young to make the stairs on her own, I had to carry her (they are steep stone steps in an old cottage), and the other route to the outside is out the front door, which involves getting her past the other dogs, getting a lead on and often times by then it was too late. I was taking her out frequently but to no avail, and it was only after catching her in the act a couple of times, and distracting her with a high pitched noise (not shouting or scolding her, you don't want them to worry about peeing in front of you), and then rushing her downstairs and encouraging her to pee outside in the dog yard, giving lots of praise, that the penny finally dropped and the only time we have any accidents now is if I have to shut the door downstairs to the basement for any length of time, which leads out onto an enclosed dog yard and she gets caught short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts