Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lola is now 8 months old - she is very well behaved besides the usual moments of madness.

She gets plenty of excercise but never seems to do her business when out on walks - only in the garden. We are moving to a new house with a large garden would like to keep the garden relatively `dog poo` free as we have a young daughter who likes to crawl around and play on the grass. Any suggestions/ideas on how we can encourage/prevent from doing her business on our new lawn rather than out when out for a walk.

Cheers
James

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
If you will have a large garden you could try fencing off an area for Lola or for the little one, so Lola at least has somewhere to go in an emergency.

As for not doing things on walks, CJ used to be like this, didn`t worry me too much til I was going away for 3 days 8O , I didn`t think he`d be able to hold it that long lol.

I posted on here about and was advised by JohnW to use the same commands when out as I did at home, so, whenever CJ started sniffing about I`d use it and it worked, after a couple of days he was just as happy to go on walks as at home :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
As Mary said, i tried it tonite while taking Alfie was his wee 15 mins walk told him busy busy(our cue word) and he went no bother... :D

Although our council prefr that you let your dog toilet in its own garden before walking... :roll:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hiya, Lola is gorgeous, welcome.

Cant really help you with this one, Both my boys are 8 months and rarely do poops anywhere other than the garden.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Could it be she just likes going on grass and on walks she doesn't get that opportunity? Theo doesn't like to go on pavement and on walks won't go until we get to the field (which is obviously grassy!) and if we do a just pavement walk it's very likely that he won't go.

G

·
When my children were tiny, my Collie would only go in her own garden, so I used to clear up promtly and squish down the grass afterwards with a hose to get rid of any "residue".

It took two years before my Collie had the confidence to "go" outside the home, as she didn't want to leave her Calling Card on anyone else's territory. It was great though, as it meant I could take her out anywhere and for however long and not have to worry about her pooing in the wrong place and then having to carry a full poo bag around with me.

As others have said, get her going on command in her own garden, then transfer this to outside and most will then oblige but if she doesn't go on pavement at home, I wouldn't expect her to do so away from the home. I personally would never encourage a dog to go on the pavements anyway, as there is nothing worse than a dog pooing right outside someone's front door or a shop, etc, or dragging you about on lead to look for the right spot to "go". It's grass all the way for me and only off lead, unless I say so. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts