Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I have had trouble with my dogs slipping on my wooden hall floor and I think I've found a solution. I can recommend a very reasonably priced mat that is suitable for wooden floors. I bought it from www.doghealth.co.uk and is called a bed but it is more useful as a mat. I cut it in half to make two as it fits in the washing machine better. and as I have two dogs it works well as each dog has a mat/bed each. You can also hoover them if you avoid the edges. The only down side is the rather garish colours! Hope other lab owners find this useful.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Chocky,

Thanks for the great tip, i have often wondered how Labs get on with wooden floors.

We're looking to buy a house when we return from our travels, and i have to say i am a big fan of wooden flooring, so i will keep this website in mind.

In our last house, our cats used to slip and slide on the wooden floors, looked like they were skating especially when they were chasing one of the many 'presents' (mice) they used to bring me! Quite funny to watch mind you :D

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
We've got some wooden floors in our house.

I can recommend vinyl carpet protecting mats (like they put down in show houses). They have them in all good DIY stores for about £9 but I got mine from IKEA, said it was a kitchen drawer liner, but was almost identical to the mats for sale and cheaper (and you can almost see the floor through it still)!

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/780087

Corbie was worse when he was smaller but now he doesn't tend to dash about so much, only in the lounge but that's carpet. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi julie Thanks for your reply re wooden floor mats. A funny thing happened when I was reading it, Mitzie climbs onto my lap (front paws only now shes such a big girl) and spots that super photo of Bradley with his tongue hanging out (so sweet) and she whines and woof at him. Is that clever or wot? Hope you come to Hertfordshire when you come home then they can be friends :lol: She has also been watching Crufts on the telly and barking at that. Do other labs watch telly or is she unusual I wonder. Bye for now - Chocky

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
A funny thing happened when I was reading it, Mitzie climbs onto my lap (front paws only now shes such a big girl) and spots that super photo of Bradley with his tongue hanging out (so sweet) and she whines and woof at him.
Hi Chocky,

How lovely! Isn't Mitzie a clever girl!

We would love to come and visit you, thank you for the kind offer! I'm sure we will be visiting a lot of doggy friends along the way :wink:

Take care

Julie & Brad

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan watches a lot of telly,he especially likes the little kiddies programes and will start shaking all over when they start singing it's so funny to watch,but beleive it or not his favourite program is Pobol y Cwm,as he was bought up in a welsh speaking house,we speak welsh at home and to him and some of his training was done in welsh and his vet is welsh so he does get to hear a lot of welsh speaking around him,and i always say when he's really bad that its 'no telly for you to-night',Lynne.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When we go to grandmas mum puts paw wax on our paws so we dont head in 2 directions at once. Easy to do you just rub our paws over the tin and a tin only costs about £3 form most good pet shops. Certainly beats making a fool of yourself by doing the splits when you are meeting and greeting.

G

·
I had a laminate floor put down in the hall and kitchen about 18 months ago. Corrie soon learnt that he had to go down the last few stairs more slowly so that he steps onto the laminate floor carefully. When I am in the kitchen he normally sits and watches me cooking or washing up etc but with the laminate floor when he sits legs start going in different directions. So he has now learnt to lie down or go and sit in the utility room where he can still see me.

However, my friends lab who comes round to see me lots and is infact here this afternoon has never learnt how to walk on the laminate floor and often runs to the front door but doesn't move!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
What clever dogs. We are still in trouble for comming down stairs so fast that we didnt make the corner at the bottom and pushed the radiator through the plaster board and that was on carpet :D

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol

we have laminate flooring in our hall through to the kitchen..if we put the dogs food down while they are in the garden when it comes to letting them in they jump through the porch then slide the rest of the way to there bowls :lol: :lol: although they did get there own back 2 days ago i was feeding them in the kitchen all 3 sitting there looking at me as im puttng htere bowls down i go sliding along the floor nearly doing the splits was the floor wet NO i had slipped on rosze drool..lol..

·
Registered
25 Posts
:lol: :lol:
Mum is thinking of getting that industrial non slip stuff cos we thought it was funny when she did that.

Oh and I forgot to mention the time when I was a pup and came back from a walk to see mum in the kitchen. I took off down the hall getting up a good turn of speed, so when I hit the kitchem tiles I couldnt stop and hit the dishwasher putting a big head shaped dent in the door.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have some friends who have laminate floor in their kitchen and living room. Their lab had loads of problems with this when he was a pup, and he found that if he 'moonwalked' backwards he wouldnt slip. It's so funny to see as he's now 4, and a really big boy, and he still does it!

Luckily Connie isnt having any problems with our wooden floors. Well, maybe the odd one in 'the mad hour' when she tears round the house at full speed knocking anything over in sight! I'm at work now, but I'm looking forward to see her happily racing round the house already!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've recently put laminate down in my office (at home) but have put down a rug too :shock: :D. I think wooden floors they can cope with, but the laminates are quite slippery and I have to say that I'm a little concerned on the effects on hips, especially on a puppy.
:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree about laminates, Im sure that they are not good for hips and us chockies have to watch that sort of thing.

In the basis that during our mad 5 minutes we lost control on carpet and hit a radiator so hard that it was pushed back in to the plaster board, we believe that nasty slippy laminate would get us in to all sorts of trouble.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I have laminate flooring in my kitchen and Hershey has learnt to do his tap dancing style walking on this... He comes in through the back door and then its very quick little steps and all U hear is click click click of his claws its very funny :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
We don't have laminate flooring anywhere in the house but we do have quarry tiles in the kitchen. It is really amusing when Dylan comes up to us and sits for a fuss and his rear end starts sliding away with him and he ends up lying down for a fuss instead!!! :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
The whole of our downstairs is Laminate, we initially were worried that the sliding would stress Molly's jonts, so we bought a rug (cheap from Woolies..) this helped a great deal...Actually now having gone through 3 of them as she tends to pull the pile up, and eat the corners a bit..also they proved almost impossible to get the hairs out of.
We have got some seagrass type rugs (from B&Q...£17 reduced) which are rubber backed. They don't slip, and she can't pull them apart. THey are also amazingly easy to keep clean!.

I tend to buy cheap rugs, as at this stage of her life (6months), I view them as almost disposable, if we get 3-4 months out of it, then great!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts