Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does Sweep keep eating grass?, worse sometimes than others he just can't help himself. Is it a deficiency in his diet? My other lab Brandy has the same habit, he was the first dog I ever met who does it.
Anyone know why? :roll:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would love to know this too. Abby grazes from time to time but Jake takes it to a new level. Great long strands of the stuff, and without wanting to be too graphic it doesn't get digested at all - tmi? Sorry!

?

·
0 Posts
Mine all graze daily, especially if they find a particularly lush patch.

There are many theories behind why they do it, from worms getting caught round the grass and being expelled, to it being a herbal cure for tummy ache....But I think they do it because they like it and it probably adds roughage to their diet. :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm interested in this also. Pippy used to munch grass all the time and my vet said it was because the food I was feeding her probably didn't suit her and it was a way of coping with an irritated stomach. I wasn't so sure but interestingly I've changed to a barf (I know that way of feeding doesn't suit all dogs so I'm not advocating that above anything else) diet in the past month and she no longer does it. I'm not sure if it's connected or not ot if it's coincidence.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Lucy munches grass ALL the time, and after debating this on here a few times, i've just come to the conclusion that she just enjoys grazing! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
_Jules_ said:
Mine all graze daily, especially if they find a particularly lush patch.

There are many theories behind why they do it, from worms getting caught round the grass and being expelled, to it being a herbal cure for tummy ache....But I think they do it because they like it and it probably adds roughage to their diet. :wink:
I also think it is for moisture, as my lab coco eats grass when we have been out long walk and hes parched, he tends to eat it.

most of the labs i have had do this. I dont think its anything to worry about though but got to be careful of snails trail on grass heard that can make them bit poorly

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Ours eat the grass when it's luch in the Spring/early Summer but are cutting back on it now - and Meganb repeates the cycle year on year so I don't think it's to do with diet/ thirst whatever - just it tastes nice like yummy salad :D

And no, no connection with dicky tums or upsets or anything like that except.... it can lead to what we call sausage poos i.e. all joined together by the bits of grass, and not all coming out neatly (sorry :oops: )

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Lottie is a big grass eater,has absoutely no digestion problems..I reckon she just likes it. Like others she does do it more if she's thirsty too,for the moisture I think.
Anyway,it no longer worries me at all after talking to lots of lab owners,in particular,it seems to be very common.

Barbara

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies :) Seems like Sweep n Brandy are only doing what comes naturally. As for Sal Abs n Jake (tmi) - I'm a mature student nurse, that kind of topic can be discused anywhere in our house! It just has to be discussed, 'cos if you don't know, or not expecting it, what your dog produces can be quite a shock. Sweep says Hi - he wishes I could get some of his best photos downloaded, it will happen, one day....

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Shadow is part cow. He's fussy with the type of grass though, it has to be flat leaved long grass for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts