Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to collect my new best friend from the breeder, he opened the door to the barn where they were housed, and a frenzied little mob of pups started jumping up, darting about and generally going potty. :D

Barney was picked up from this bunch and I took him home and we lived together happily ever after. :lol:

The end. :)

...except it's not the end. Barney is nearly 2 now, and hasn't seen or heard anything from his brothers and sisters since that fateful day ( no postcards, no phone calls etc etc) :roll:

I often wonder (maybe I have too much time on my hands!) that if Barney got to accidentally meet one of his brothers or sisters in the park...would they recognise each other...is there a special bond there? :?

I read about Amanda who has 2 Labs who are brothers and can understand that they hate to be parted...but has anyone experienced their dog meeting a sibling after so long? ...and was it the usual Lab meets Lab thing...or was there something different there? :p

John
www.marsupialelvis.com Home of the Barneycam

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie hasn't met any of his brothers/sisters either since they all went their separate ways - he also has many half-brothers/sisters!

He's received a couple of emails from them though - wonders of modern technology! :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Harvey met one of his sisters recently while walking on the beach. He was 16 weeks old at the time and hadnt seen her since leaving the Breeder

They had a real good play tussle together with the strange thing being that, although she is a good bit smaller, he was very submissive to her, rolling on his back and letting her get the upper hand. Normally he is very dominant in playing. I can only assume that he reconised who she was and that, when litter mates, she was the boss!

When we met her the next time he was much more assertive, as if he realised he now had the strength to put her in her place! :lol:

I am keeping in touch with her owner and would like to do likewise with the other owners of Harvey's littermates as it would be fascinating to know how they are all progressing - and recommend this forum to them of course! :wink:

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

Poppy hadn't seen her mother or littermates [11 of them] since I brought her home at 7 weeks. I've kept in touch with her breeder and last summer, when Poppy was six and a half years, we went up to visit her mother and one sister. It was so spooky!!! You know you think your dog is unique and you are familiar with all their features? Well, except for being rather overweight, Poppy's sister was a carbon copy of her. It was unreal. Poppy seemed to know where things were and I certainly got the feeling it wasn't all new to her. She sort of flirted with her mum a bit and tried to get her sister to play. She seemed very at ease with them. I asked a behaviourist friend of mine about it because I couldn't believe she could have remembered. She said it possibly evoked familiar smells etc like sometimes if we smell something it reminds us of our childhood. [With me its the smell of comics, or a certain type of plastic reminds me of my wendy house]. It was totally fascinating.

Rosie

G

·
When my Ollie was a puppy I was fortunate enough to work with the breeder and use to take my Ollie to work with me, he used to play with his mum Lettie on the farm and I would take them both for a walk before prizing them apart for the journey home.
They were inseperable when they were together and it would be nice to think that Lettie was very proud of her son!
I have put some photos of Ollie and Lettie playing together in the chocolate labradors albums under Ollie de Clisson.

Michaela

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loved the stories of family reunions!

Barneys KC name is 'Harstcrest Baghdad'

Any other 'Hartscrest' dogs out there who would want to say hello to Barney?

John

www.marsupialelvis.com Cyber home of Hartscrest Baghdad....or Barney as we like to call him!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do have a link to a website called puppy reunion where you could put your pups details up and also look for other relatives. After not visiting the site for ages I've just called it up and it won't display so I'm guessing the site no longer exists, oh dear!
My choc Lab is coming up for a year and I was thinking of putting a message up on the breeders website to see if any of the owners of her brothers and sisters wanted to meet up on their first Birthday, but I'm worried they may think I'm a little too mad!
Clare

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am also interested in comparing notes with any one who has a brother or sister of my labrador. She is a Fenflyer labrador born on 17th Aug 2004 now 6 months old and a complete darling but a very naughty one! I would love to make contact with anyone who also has a Fenflyer labrador of any age. I live in Hertfordshire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts