Labradors Forums banner

Does Your Town Have Good Dog Toilet Facilities?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

One thing i have been very impressed with whilst touring Switzerland & Germany, is how clean and tidy everything is, oh and they are huge fans of recycling. The one thing that is so helpful, is the amount of dog toilet facilities. Nearly everwhere you go, you will find poo bins, and containers full of poo bags. Albeit a walk in the country, to the tiniest town..there is always somewhere for you to obtain a bag & deposit of your dogs disposals.

I remember visiting parts of Spain & Italy where it was very different. You would end up walking for ages carrying your little parcel, looking for a bin to deposit!

Having got Brad whilst on our travels and not being a dog owner whilst back in the UK, it was something i wouldn't have noticed - what are the dog toilet facilities like where you live?

Do you have good facilities...poo bags & bins?

I'd be interested to here..

Thx

Julie

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
We only have bins and they are oonly located in some parks nd fields if your walking your dog on the road and he decides to have a poop then you have to carry it along with you

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

The Island seems very good for doggie poo bins, there are bins nearly everywhere dogs are allowed even some of our big forests have them for us to use. I do have to say though that there are STILL a lot people that even though the bins are about 6 feet away from them still don't bother to pick it up ....grrr

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
This has improved where i stay in the last year we have got dog poo bins on every other lamp post, but i'm afraid to say I'm in the minority of people that use the bins, it makes my blood boil when you see them just walking away and leaving the little parcels and sometimes not so little parcels behind. :evil:

Margaret

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else - You only find bins near grassed areas, but I don't think you find bags too, anywhere in the UK, or can someone update me on that? I have always had to carry bags with me, but I'm not so embarrased about carrying the bag if there isn't a bin around - its helps that we buy the black poop bags so its not so visible lol.

Pet hate is the idiots that dont pick up... it really is annoying, as there are little kids playing in our park all the time and they are really not bothered about that.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Burnley's doggie poo facilities are, quite frankly, poo! Whereas there are actually some nice parks, there are a few bins situated in them, but these are nearly always overflowing due to not being emptied regularly and the dispenser for the bags are always empty. On the roads and pavements there are virtually no proper doggie bins and if your pooping pal leaves a present behind, you end up carrying it for ages looking for a normal rubbish bin. the local council (reasonably, in my view) expects people to clean up after their dog, but will do nothing to make it easier and more convenient to do so. Rant over :evil: :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
I live in a village with a lovely public footpath along a riverbank, except that every other step there is a dog poo (and lots of other animals' poo that Scooby finds an rolls in)

It angers me that no-one else seems to bother to pick it up but there are also no bins around. There are signs at the beginning of the footpath to say about penalties etc but I have never seen a warden.

It just makes the experience of a nice walk less enjoyable when you have got to watch where you put your feet and drag the dog away from sniffing every single one!

Rant over :roll:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Julie just for your info...In india there is no system of clearing the stuff from the roads..just leave it behind :? ...hence dogs are not allowed in parks and gardens :cry: ....however the strays can get wherever they want...some royalty lolz....

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Dog poo facilities! RAOFL! You've got to be joking! The locals here look at me like I'm a loony when I collect up mine in my little English doggy pooh bags!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I haven't seen one dog poo bins in the streets in Birmingham, although there may be some in the city centre. The park I usually use has 4 entrances/exists but only 2 has dog poo bins. Poo bags are not provided.Like other places there are dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs.I always carry poo bags with me and if I'm in the street it's a case of using the normal rubbish bins,to be fair there are plenty of these.

Kev

·
Registered
880 Posts
cheltenham is quite good, and there really are a lot of parks here too, no wonder they often do well in the britain in bloom competition, however vogue goes in her designated spot in the uni campus, the uni bguild it really well all fenced in and with woodchip however didnt put a bin (of any variety) near it which means i have to carry my parcles halfway across the uni czmpus to a bin! lovely! Does anyone have one of those bio dog loos in their gardens, that was one of the suggestions i made to the uni.
Anna

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Forgot to add poo bags are provided free of charge, but have to collect them from any local council run facilities library sports centre ect, they did have them beside the bins but they were being scattered by the mindless few.

Margaret

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
GrecianExile said:
Burnley's doggie poo facilities are, quite frankly, poo!
Hi all

Sounds like Burnley and Cambridge are very similar! Well, actually I walk Smudge in a village outside Cambridge called Hardwick (where I live! lol!) and I have seen 2 dog bins - total. It's a village with a large housing estate and a lot of grassy areas, which you have to walk through a lot of built up areas to get to. And there are not many proper bins either so I can walk for quite a while with my little bag!

A local council that supplies poo bags? That's fantastic! This is something many more should do. In fact, I think I may send South Cambs DC a little email this afternoon!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Paul

Gotta be worth a try I guess - we'll have to see which council gives the best response! Like you though, I don't hold out too much hope! At least it shows that we're trying to be responsible owners as I totally agree that it's so unpleasant to 'stumble' upon another 'pile' so to speak!

Right, will go and compose something from 'concerned of Cambridge' now!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
In Devon, a few beaches have bins, but no bags and not found any anywhere else.....
Silly really as being a tourist area and rural, tourists tend to bring their dogs with them !
Likewise I spend many a walk with lead and mobile in one hand and poo, swinging along quite merrily, in the other !

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
There was a bin where I didn't expect one (think it's the only one in the village ... that sounds a bit Little Britain-ish ...the only bin in the village :lol:) , but I wish there was one nearer the river as I've had to pick up a Corbie deposit whilst en route to the river and couldn't bin it anywhere.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
dog bins huh what are they??...lol.

were we take our dogs there are only a FEW bins not the special dog bins..so 9 times out of 10 we have to carry there mess home with us in nappy sacks...

id be shocked if i saw a place that gave free doggy bags aswell..then again the kids would probably pull them out and chuck em round the place..

everywere were i go there are sighns saying pick it up or pay the fine that is fair enough.. but if they provided us with places to put the mess there would definatly be less on the floors

i pick mine up with nappy sacks normally bring it back home or if im lucky find a bin to put it in..lol..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts