Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 dogs, at the time of writing, have been "stolen" from supermarkets in South West Scotland. These dogs have been tied up outside supermarkets, taken away (in one case 17miles) and then let loose in another supermarket car park.

Now I don't tie my dogs up outside supermarkets, and I don't have much time for those that do to be entirely honest, but that isn't the point.

I just wondered whether this behaviour was happening elsewhere, and also just to let folks know.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I often stand and keep an eye on a tied up dog, or keep an eye from my car just in case it is approached by a person who didn't leave it, last time I saw a dog left outside the supermarket it was obviously extremely friendly so I went and made friends and stayed with him until his owner came back. I explained why I had.

I guess when I 'was a lad... ooops... lass' my Mum did leave me and my brother outside of shops whilst she went in but times have changed and a child left alone outside a shop would be swept up by the police etc nowadays.

Hope the dogs were ok and their owners have learnt a lesson a difficult way.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There have been a lot of dog thefts of dogs tied up outside shops in our general area, although none actually in our town. I personally would not risk leaving Chewy tied up outside. Although I must admitt it would be handy to use her walks to go to the shops to get milk etc!

I like going on walking holidays to wales where all the shops and pubs and cafes let you take your dogs in!

I don't know why anyone would tie their dogs up outside a supermarket, but I also don't know why someone would be cruel enough to move them and let them off in another car park. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote="StormDust"
I don't know why anyone would tie their dogs up outside a supermarket, but I also don't know why someone would be cruel enough to move them and let them off in another car park. ?[/quote]

You see dogs tied up outside shops all the time here, and we're not in a remote location, rural yes, remote no.

Any dogs I see tied up look, and often sound, pretty miserable.

I've no idea what point someone is trying to make tho? Two wrongs don't make a right :roll:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luna-Tuck said:
I guess when I 'was a lad... ooops... lass' my Mum did leave me and my brother outside of shops whilst she went in but times have changed and a child left alone outside a shop would be swept up by the police etc nowadays.
T'was common back then, you could leave your door open and the keys in the car. We knew all our neighbours by name, and wouldn't think twice of asking them to mind the kids, feed the cat etc etc etc.........

But now 8O

Soz I may have gone off topic :roll:

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Just popped to shop and cashpoint this afternoon and watched a man tie his cocker spaniel up to a bench and go in a shop... dog was unsettled and a bit whingy so I didn't approach but I did hold off on heading in my next shop and lingered close by to keep an eye on her. As he came out he gave me a stern look... I kind of hoped he may be worrying about my taking her... I didn't fancy giving him a lecture today. As I left and headed home to my duo I noticed she was tied up outside another shop at the end of the row :( :(
<sigh>

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Years ago it was quite the norm to leave my two dogs outside the local shops or school gates and I knew no one would touch them. Now I don't leave the dogs unattended at all. There's far to many idiots about and have read to many horror stories.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I always worry when I see dogs tied outside shops or left inside cars with all the horror stories that we hear...
I would never leave Cooper outside, but I find it silly to leave him at home if I'm walking to the shops, so I usually stand in the doorway and shout 'can I have a pint of milk please???' And try to have the exact change with me so it's not too disruptive for the shopkeeper.
8)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I do the same as Kiki and now my regular trip to get the Saturday Guardian is easy because our local corner shop man just comes to the door with it for me.

I HATE seeing dogs tied up because my fear is that idiots will let them loose and they will get killed on the roads.

I cannot understand what's going on in Scotland though, taking dogs and letting them off lead elsewhere. What is the matter with people? Grrrr

·
Registered
385 Posts
Our small local shop, which is actually a petrol station, is on the way to the common for most dog walkers and it is quite common to see a dog tied up next to the door while owners pop in for a small bag of groceries. The security guard is lovely and keeps an eye on the dogs. I always pop in as quick as I can.

But deliberately uniting a dog is cruel!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fortunate to live in a relatively low crime area. I used to tie him up outside a local shop when I popped in to buy cigarettes & the kiosk was next to the entrance - thus he remained in close sight.

Wife & I stopped smoking, (switched to electronic cig's) last year, so no longer any need for kiosk missions.

There are tether points outside local shops here and it is common place to see dogs happily waiting for their owners without incident. I have it on good authority that there haven't been any cases in recent history of dogs taken from outside shops in this area - but I remain generally reluctant to do this.....I figure the joy to me of a pint of milk would not be proportionate to the heartache of our dog being taken.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Orvis has this new locking dog leash to help prevent dog theft. Like most Orvis stuff it's quite pricey, but if you absolutely have to leave your dog for a few minutes it could make it safer: http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0L2E

I'm glad that they say in the description that it should only be used for a minute or two, so that people don't start thinking it's ok to leave your dog tied to a pole for hours!

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I never leave Coco tied up anywhere, she is a bit of a mummy's girl anyway and gets upset if I leave her. She tends to bark at strangers, particularly children which I think is a nervous bark but other people don't see it that way. I would hate for her to be accused of being a dangerous dog.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Luna-Tuck said:
I often stand and keep an eye on a tied up dog, or keep an eye from my car just in case it is approached by a person who didn't leave it, last time I saw a dog left outside the supermarket it was obviously extremely friendly so I went and made friends and stayed with him until his owner came back. I explained why I had.
Wow LT that's such a nice thing to do. I'd love the convenience of popping to the local shop on a walking route but the idea of leaving her tied to a post outside even just for few minutes scares me to death.

Kiki_Dollywood said:
Orvis has this new locking dog leash to help prevent dog theft. Like most Orvis stuff it's quite pricey
Now that's interesting. But I can't quite tell from the listing how it works? Wouldn't the collar be the weakest link? Or does it have it's own collar part too? It is bulky to carry with you? No good for a regular standing post I guess, only a U-shape like shown in the picture?

edit - p.s. Sorry for the messed up quoting, it looked fine on preview?

·
Registered
22 Posts
When we had our previous Lab years ago, we did occasionally tie him up outside a shop, but that was only if the shop wasn't busy and we could see him the entire time, and if we would literally only be grabbing like a drink or something. The way things are going these days, there is no way that I would ever do it again. Shop trips are only made if there is someone to stand outside with the dog. Can't trust anyone anymore... that said, I don't leave my dog in my own back yard without constant supervision, simply because I don't trust the neighbors, either! Far cry from the way it was when I was a kid. I don't know if people are becoming more bold with these things, or if it is just more widely reported now with the Internet and such, but I can't get my head around stealing someone's dog at all, let alone just to let them go somewhere else. Mental. :(

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
When I was a teen I used to take my RSPCA mongrel and tie him up outside the co-op. I once got all the way home before I realised I had forgotten something :oops:

I ran all the way back, absolutely guilt ridden to fetch him though.

I never left my babies outside shops either, if I couldn't get the pram inside I didn't go in. My trips to shopping centres usually involved wearing baby in a sling so that I didn't have to push a pram around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts