Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a relatively new dog owner (5years) I feel I am still learning and am well aware that I am not the 'perfect owner' with the 'perfect dogs' ! I am probably not as consistent as I should be and let mine get away with things that I should be sorting, such as lead pulling when walking them together!! Whoops!

However it was lovely today to receive a phone call from the lady who runs the dog sitting company I use to say how much the new dog sitters enjoyed having my two last week. They said how well behaved they were and what a pleasure they were to have in their house. Like with my kids, I am never quite sure how they will behave at someone else's but you hope they won't let you down!

I was worried about them letting Bella of the lead as she hadn't met them before but after 2 days of them testing her recall they were so impressed with her that they felt confident to let her off. They said both dogs turned on a sixpence to come back to them, something which they don't see in many they look after apparently.

They have now been to 3 different dog sitting host families in the last year and they have all commented on what lovely dogs they are and how they can't wait to have them back! Even when I said to the owner I expect you say that to all your clients and she said "no I am honest with everyone and they don't all get told what a pleasure their dogs are!"

I feel so proud of my girls and it is nice to know that them time spent on training and 'bringing them up' has all been worth it. As a newbie dog owner you have to learn as you go along, making mistakes along the way is all part of the process but it is nice to feel that you have played a part in creating happy, well behaved, loving and loyal dogs.

Chloe

·
Registered
551 Posts
Bravo you and yours!!

Pepper is 10 months old and I adore her! She's not perfect and boy do I know it! But my moments of pride occur daily as I have low expectations - she's young and I'm a novice. We're learning together. She is gentle with children, recalls beautifully (with us) and is challenged daily to walk to heal and ignore most distractions. When she passes a steaming pile of freshly deposited poo, or carob, or dates without attempting to greedily scoff them I mentally fist punch the air! :lol:

So Chloe I am well and truly impressed with your two and Ruby and Bella are lucky to have you!

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I constantly worry about whether I do a good enough job as a dog owner. Both mine have quirks which others might find a pain eg they both bark quite a lot and Ruby is rather a sensitive girlie! I often think that others may not be as taken with them as I am but it is nice when strangers comment, particularly when they are with them 24/7.

Chloe

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well done! You should be very proud!

While we were on holiday last week people kept telling me how well behaved Cooper was and I was like 'oh yeah you didn't see him pull so hard and drag me down the hill earlier', but then I realised that he hadn't chewed anything in the cottage we rented, was 100% clean in the cottage, lied calmly at our feet chewing his bone when we took him to the pub, etc.

So sure they all have their 'bad doggy' moments and quirks, but your dogs have shown that your hard work is paying off. All we can do is do our best! x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts