Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re looking for advice on dog collars and lead to reduce pulling. Our black lab Basil is 13 months old and he’s turning into a great dog. He loves his walks around the fields and playing chase with his doggy friends. He’s also turned into a bit of a water baby.

Our only issue is his pulling on the lead, he does it mainly when he’s excited to get out on his walks. We’ve been trying some of Graeme Hall‘s (of Dogs behaving very badly) techniques of turning round and walking back a few paces then starting again, he gets lots of praise when he does it right. He wears an ordinary collar - we tried a half choke but he’s struggling and choking when he pulls. His lead is an ordinary clip on one can anyone advise on a good anti pulling technique and on suitable collars and leads?

·
Administrator
22,041 Posts
before we took the half choke collar off him
Known as a Half Check collar or a Martingale collar.

The reason why I and just about all working gundog people use a slip lead is because you dont need a collar. Because our dogs spend a lot of time working in cover there is a risk with a collar of it getting caught up and strangling the dog. Working gundogs, sheep dogs and police dogs are just about the only dogs not legally compelled to wear a collar.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Have a look at publications by Laura Hill and Pippa Mattinson (think that's the right spelling), really well written and easy to understand. I got told at a training session last year to use the 'sit/stop' as brakes, so the second my youngster started pulling forward too much to ask for the sit at heel, then when they'd calmed down set off again, but be ready to apply the sit/stop again if needed. That comes from Laura Hill's book Advanced Retriever Training, I'm half way through that at the minute and it's so easy to understand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We had a martingale on Lando and his pulling wasn't great.
We got a slip lead at the trainer's advice from ikanine.co.uk. Very good quality leads. That made things a lot better.
As he matured he got into his crazy teen attitude and started with the lunging/pulling again. While we trained that out, we used the figure-8 fitting as described above. That stopped it completely.
My youngest daughter can walk him no problem with the figure-8 on. It doesn't just stop them pulling. His whole demeanor changes. He becomes very subdued and compliant, which then helps you train the habit out easier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
We had a martingale on Lando and his pulling wasn't great.
We got a slip lead at the trainer's advice from ikanine.co.uk. Very good quality leads. That made things a lot better.
As he matured he got into his crazy teen attitude and started with the lunging/pulling again. While we trained that out, we used the figure-8 fitting as described above. That stopped it completely.
My youngest daughter can walk him no problem with the figure-8 on. It doesn't just stop them pulling. His whole demeanor changes. He becomes very subdued and compliant, which then helps you train the habit out easier.

The figure of 8 works as a halti would, and/or some of the other head collars, ie it tightens around the muzzle. If someone put something that went tight round your nose if you pulled, you'd probably stop pulling as well. But the minute most figure of 8 configurations are off, most dogs will still pull, so it doesn't stop them from the same behaviour, it just means they know when it's going to pinch them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The figure of 8 works as a halti would, and/or some of the other head collars, ie it tightens around the muzzle. If someone put something that went tight round your nose if you pulled, you'd probably stop pulling as well. But the minute most figure of 8 configurations are off, most dogs will still pull, so it doesn't stop them from the same behaviour, it just means they know when it's going to pinch them.
Sorry what I meant was that he doesn't pull anymore with just a normal slip lead configuration. The figure-8 just allowed us to get his focus while teaching him the heel behaviour we did want.
But, when the youngest walks him, we do still use the figure-8 for that extra bit of security.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Sorry what I meant was that he doesn't pull anymore with just a normal slip lead configuration. The figure-8 just allowed us to get his focus while teaching him the heel behaviour we did want.
But, when the youngest walks him, we do still use the figure-8 for that extra bit of security.

Yes, I realised that, I was just explaining why their demeanour changes when the figure of 8 is over their muzzle, it does the same as some head collars, ie tightens around the muzzle which can, over a long period of time obviously make them sore. It does stop them pulling but I'd only ever use it for a short period of time (and I do exactly the same, ie slip the figure of 8 over when I need more control) rather than as a long term solution if that makes sense.

·
Registered
Bluey
3 Posts
We’re looking for advice on dog collars and lead to reduce pulling. Our black lab Basil is 13 months old and he’s turning into a great dog. He loves his walks around the fields and playing chase with his doggy friends. He’s also turned into a bit of a water baby.

Our only issue is his pulling on the lead, he does it mainly when he’s excited to get out on his walks. We’ve been trying some of Graeme Hall‘s (of Dogs behaving very badly) techniques of turning round and walking back a few paces then starting again, he gets lots of praise when he does it right. He wears an ordinary collar - we tried a half choke but he’s struggling and choking when he pulls. His lead is an ordinary clip on one can anyone advise on a good anti pulling technique and on suitable collars and leads?
Recommend Dog and Field figure 8 anti-pull leash. Worked wonders with my young Lab. got it on Amazon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We bought a CannyCollar for Freddie a couple of weeks ago - I was getting fed up of being pulled down the hill! We've used it a handful of times and his walking on a lead with a normal collar has significantly improved. Using a head collar really has changed his behaviour.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
We bought a CannyCollar for Freddie a couple of weeks ago - I was getting fed up of being pulled down the hill! We've used it a handful of times and his walking on a lead with a normal collar has significantly improved. Using a head collar really has changed his behaviour.
Worth a read for anyone using a headcollar or figure of 8: Head-collars

1 - 15 of 15 Posts