1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

where do your guys sleep at night?

and

where do you put your guys if there is no-one at home?

I got Schuey when he was 5 months old and he stayed in for the first 2 nights. I was told that I should make a decision on in or out and stick to it, as it would be very hard to change at a later date. Schuey now sleep out every night and he doesn't complain.

He has a 12' x 12' concrete dog run with a wooden kennel (homemade) in it. The kennel is about 4' x 2' and has a one of the hard plastic dog beds in it. I put a blanket into the bed for some extra comfort. The roof of the kennel can lift off for easy cleaning etc.

Schuey seems to like the accomadation but I want to extend the dog run this summer to about 12' x 30' to give him some more space when we are out.

Cheers,

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi
oh im a soft owner..lol..my dogs sleep inside one is on the bed(king charles spaniel) and my brandy well she sleeps at the bottom of our bed on the floor with a huge rug with a quilt on top..lol..and when hubby not in of a night she sleeps with me on the bed with her head on the pillow (shhh please dont tell the hubby..) they both have the run of the house when i am out.
i agree though if your dog is going to be a outside one it must stay that way or the dog gets confused as long as were you house the dog is weather proof shelter is good and he/she has plenty of running space.

my neighbour has a english bull and she was a house dog (breeding dog should i say) but when her pregnancys failed she was put outside and boy did she bark for at least week i felt so sorry for her as she was used to being indoors she has been outside for 2 months now i havent heard or seen of her ..i did speak to my neighbour about it but all she said was oh shes fine and never spoke of her again

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schuey does come into the house when ever we are at home but he is restricted to just the kitchen, he never goes throught the door into the hallway. If we leave the kitchen he will sit at the door or lye across the door sadle and wait for us to come back.

We seem to have a good mix of having a well behaved house dog and a dog that doesn't complain about sleeping out at night.

Cheers,

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
****,i am with Clair on this one,no way has any of my dogs been put outside,they have all had the run of the house,after all they are our family and my rule has always been if i wont do it myself neither will my dog.Lynne.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Schuey
My dogs have always been house dogs and I can't see that changing in the future, however, I do not see a problem if the dogs is used to it and has adequate facilities. One thing I will say is do make sure it is secure, not only from him getting out, but from others getting in. It is not uncommon to have dogs stolen from outside kennels.
The one thing that does concern me having read your other post is that he is being left for 8 or 9 hours. That is far too long, whether he is left inside or out, or whether he has another dog for company or not.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
When my fiance and I decided to get a dog, we decided that he/she would be part of the family - so, having said that Charlie has the run of the house like James and I do, he comes and goes like we do and normally follows us around from room to room because he either hates being alone or is afraid of missing something!! When we are settled in the evening watching TV, he snuggles down with us (normally on our feet or sometimes on the sofa) and when we go to bed he sleeps by me in his bed, although sometimes he creeps onto the bed with us!!!

I am not sure that I would have the heart to leave to leave my dog outside all day and night when its so cold at the moment, and if he was alone all day when I was at work then when I come home I would want cuddles with my boy - I wouldnt shut him in the kitchen, whats the point in having a pet if he is not considered part of the family???

Again, sorry if I am being rude (its just my opinion!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi **** -I'm sure that whatever Schuey is used to he will accept as his lot in life and lots of dogs are confined to areas within the house and garden. My own dog is six months old and we have put up a stair gate to keep her downstairs - 3 reasons for this 1. we have a very elderly old dog as well who was distressed by her arrival and needs somewhere where he feels at peace 2. she chews everything and anything and 3. a friend told me that it was bad for labradors' hips to jump and climb stairs. The difference with my dog is that I am lucky that i work for myself and she comes to the office with me every day and has a nice walk and a car ride and interacts with other people during this time. Also during the evenings we sit together in the living room (although I never allow her on the furniture or to chew anything!) Schuey may be stressed about being left for so long alone and the fact that when you do return home from work he cannot even come in and be with you is upsetting him. His skin condition may be stress related. Like the previous post this is only my opinion. Chocky

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi ****

Smudge sleeps in our room at night. He alternates between an old folded up duvet by my side and his bed which is by Chris' side. And at 6 am he sits by me and whines until I lift him up onto the bed with us for his morning cuddle! Mind you, he's been on the bed with us all night for the last 2 nights!

We work during the day but thankfully are able to get home at lunchtime so that he is not left too long. He stays in the kitchen during our absences. and we have a child gate in the door way so he can see out into the lounge. We found he preferred this to having the door shut on him (we managed to watch him one day!). He must like being able to see out into a wider area but at least we know he cannot hurt himself in the kitchen when we're not there. We also leave the radio on - Radio 2 for a nice mixture of chat and easy listening music.

When we come home in the evening, that evening then belongs to Smudge and he stays in the living room with us. We play with him and cuddle him when he finally flops out on the sofa!

All the best to you and Schuey.

Nicola.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dogs sleep...

Hi ****,
My dogs have always had the run of the house. Sure we started them out in a confined space (ie: kitchen area) until we knew they were ready for more space. Starting out with just short trips away before they were allowed all day. That is our ultimate goal anyway.
Now, my 2 labs pups are starting to gain more house area as long as someone else is there to watch them but we do still crate them during the night (my Holly still has accidents but she's getting better) and they are crated during the day if someone can't be home, usually up to 5 hours. Now unfortunately, my 14 yo Austrialian Shepard is just plain getting up there and she has frequent accidents too. We used to keep her blocked in the kitchen area when we were gone, but she has such a hard time walking on the floor, it was just to cruel, so we bought a carpet shampooer :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good morning everyone,

where do I start on this one??? I probably seem like a very uncaring Lab owner :cry: But I'm not and neither is my wife.

As I explained in the other post we both have to work etc..

Schuey sleeps out at night, and he seems to love going to bed (usually about 23:00), he runs out all excited and doesn't complain at all, even on cold nights. And I do intend to increase his run to over 300 square feet.

The first thing I do when I get home is bring Schuey for a 40 min walk in the feilds, we then play in the front garden with a ball. Then when I go in he comes in with me, he is never left out when we are at home and he is not left in the kitchen with the door closed. Because my wife works late I always cook the dinner and so spend most of my afternoon and evening in the kitchen with Schuey (I also do some work from home, this allows me get home earlier). No matter what I am doing Schuey is always in, I was painting the kitchen ceilling yesterday, he enjoyed that, it's the walls tonight.

I could keep on going here and try to paint a picture that you guys want to see, all I can say is that we love Schuey and we do our best and we spend as much time as possible with him but our work situation doesn't help. At the weekends I still get up and bring him in for his breakfast at 07:30 (no sleep-ins at the weekend) and then out for a walk to get the papers and back home for grass cutting, car washing, outside painting etc. the list goes on and Schuey is always with us either drinking suddy water from the bucket or eating some cut grass.

From what you guys have said it sounds like there is always someone at home with your dogs and that your dogs stay in all the time (unless they are out for a walk), what do you guys do when you go on holidays, go out shopping, go out for a meal, go to a party etc etc?

What can we do, all help/advice welcome.

Cheers,
**** :cry:

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
**** oh i dont think you are a uncaring lab owner at all or why would you be on here asking for advice like i said on my other post im lucky im home all day if i go shopping i am not out longer than 1hour..as for holidays they either come with us or my father takes them in

you have just moved to a new area so it will be double hard on you to get someone to watch over your dog in your absence hopefully all will be right in the end and you and schuey and your wife will be one even happier mad family..lol..

clair

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi ****
From your past posts, it is obvious you care, so I don't think anyone thinks you are an uncaring lab owner.
But, not only are dogs very sociable, they are pack animals. They are hard wired to think that being away from their 'pack' makes them vulnerable.
The reality is that many people do work and own dogs, and it is possible to work around it. Obviously it means your spare time will be used up with Schuey :D , but I do think you need to get someone in to take him out during the day. I don't know if this is any help
http://www.irishanimals.com/care/kennel.html#care
also ask your vets, at any local dog training clubs even kennels.
HTH :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats why I was thinking another might be good for Schuey, the vet actually mentioned it to me as a possibility.

Thanks for that link, a good starting point for me.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi ****

I agree with the other posters, I can see that you care for Schuey a great deal and spend your spare time with him which is fantastic of course....I just personally think that perhaps more thought should have gone into the amount of time he would be alone for before you bought the dog - 8 hours is a VERY long time, its no different to leaving a child for that amount of time really....what worries me more than anything is what could happen to Schuey when you are away from him - could anyone get in and steal him? What if he hurt himself, he could be in pain? What if he knocked over his water bowl and went without water all day? Those things are the things that give me more cause for concern to be honest.

So that said, would you not be able to get someone to go in during the day to see the dog? Dog walkers are very popular these days - I should know because I am one!! Dogs are dropped off to me in the morning by their owners and picked up in the evening, during the time I have the dogs I walk them, interact (play) with them and generally keep them company, when they go home they have Mum and Dad time so everybody wins!!

There are many ways that you can continue to have Schuey as your family pet but also look after his best interests.....perhaps you could have a think about other options?

Sarah

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi ****
Although it's a common reaction to think another dog would keep Schuey company and be the answer,and of course, Schuey would probably love it, but I think it could make matters worse.
At 5 months, he's still a puppy and bringing two puppies up together to be well trained and responsive to you as opposed to each other is time consuming and extremely hard work, and given that you already have limited time due to work commitments, it could cause more problems than it solves. Although these articles are about bringing up siblings, the can equally apply to two young pups raised together. Please bear in mind that he is only 5 months. It will be a couple of years before you see the dog he will become, and often problems only start to show when they are older.
http://www.doglistener.co.uk/choosing/siblings.shtml
http://www.leerburg.com/2dogs.htm
http://www.caninedevelopment.com/Sibling.htm
HTH :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi again

A friend of mine has 2 labs - one aged 14 months and the other one is 10 months - whilst its lovely for the dogs to have each other as company, my friend would be the 1st to admit how tough it was/is having 2 dogs of almost the same age - they bonded with each other rather than with their human owners and training was a nightmare - its only now that things are beginning to settle down.

The fact that your 2 pups would be alone much of the day would only make things worse with regard to their bonding with each other rather than you and your wife.

Of course there is always the same old point that they could hurt each other in play sometime and no one would be there to supervise - personally I think that getting another dog at this moment in time would be a bad option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts