Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Dog hairs - don't they just get everywhere! It's a shame i can't send Bradley to the hair dressers for short back & sides!

Anyway, upon our return to the UK in a few months, i will become the proud owner of a new dog hair busting machine, a hoover. (The one we have now is fine for small rooms but not for a house, especially not with Brad being so hairy!)

Anyone got any good tips for hoovers, i know Dyson used to do a 'pet' hoover, especially to deal with lots of hair..

How do you all get on?

Cheers :wink:

Julie

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would be interested in this as well. We have a Dyson but I've found the only way I can effectively get the hair out of the carpet (luckily we don't have much carpet in the house!) is to get on my hands and knees wearing rubber gloves and brush the carpet that way. Does get all the hairs up but is rather work-intensive and I would much prefer a lazier way... 8)

G

·
Hi Julie,

When we first got Oscar, we just had a 'normal' hoover and it never get rid of all the hair. No matter how many times I hoovered, there was always hair caught up in the carpet fibres so it never looked clean.

So we invested in a 'Dyson Animal', which turned out to be one of the best purchases we have made.

I can not fault it atall!

With one dog and two cats, we have a lot of fur in our house, but the Dyson managed to get rid of all of it.

The carpets always look properly clean after I've hoovered and it has a really long cord so I can do a couple of rooms at a time without having to unplug.

I also sprinkle some pet odour destoyer on the carpets once a week (when they're all safely outside of course) and the combination of that with the Dyson, and the house smells really fresh.

Everyone who ever comes round says that they can't believe we have a dog, becuase you can't smell him when you come in at all.

This thought of course disappears within seconds when he comes bounding in and makes it very obvious that he's around :lol:

HTH

Sarah x

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi, Got to agree with Julie about the Dyson animal, also that the Dyson dc07 is fantastic too, and a little cheaper than the animal,whichever one you get they are a fantastic investment.Lynne.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I swear by the Dyson Animal - it totally removes traces of dog hair....

My Mum has 4 cats and 2 dogs (one of which is a long haired Alsation) and once she has hoovered with the Dyson Animal there is no evidence that animals even live there!!! :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is a good topic, I previously researched all the prices of vacum cleaners suction power vs price etc as it drives my husband mad to have fur on the carpets and with two dogs well...

Anyway I highly highly recommend the LG VC7770CER. It costs around about £100 - £120 and I believe - but stand to be corrected - has a higher suction power than the Dyson 320 vs 280 watts. It is fantastic with lots of extras that come with it. If you look on the currys website its the red one on the site and gives you the description.

Very good one!

G

·
I spent quite a lot of time looking into different hoovers aswell before purchasing the 'animal', and was almost put off becuase it appeared to have less suction that other cheaper models.

However, I think the reason that it is so amazingly effective with pet hair, is not necessarily because of how much it sucks, but because it does something to lift the fibres of the carpet up or something (very technical :lol: ) and so manages to get the hair from between each bit, rather than just trying to suck it up from above.

I think it does the mechanical version of what swillsy ends up doing on her hands and knees brushing the carpet up, but obviously this is a far easier method :wink:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ha ha the things we do to keep our animals!

I recall having spent every second saturday with a wire brush, brushing not my dogs but the carpets! Thank goodness for technology!

·
Registered
364 Posts
The thing to bear in mind when comparing the rated power of a Dyson compared to others on the market is that the Dyson will continue to suck at maximum capability even when partially full, whereas other conventional vacumn cleaners become less efficient as their bags fill up

I am very pleased with the performance of my Dyson Animal, I bought it not long after I shampooed the carpets and was astounded just how much stuff it still managed to suck out!. My only gripe is the way the accessories keep falling off when not in use, a design fault in an otherwise excellant machine

Ive not had mine long so cant speak for its longevity, but my neighbour has had hers for a long while and tells me hers has stood the test of time very well

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
193 Posts
ha ha,
luckily we have wood floors throughtou downstairs where Molly is allowed, so the worst we get are fur balls in out of the way places!..

It is surprising how quickly dust and dirt gather that you probably wouldn't notice on a carpet.....

and also it's amusing watching her try to stop a full sprint when the floor has no resistance!..

(we've now put a couple of rugs down that help with braking!)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
jibber..lol.. :lol: yeah we have laminate flooring in the kitchen and hall and when its lunch time brandy comes running in from outside stops half way in the hall and slides the rest of the way into the kitchen..LOL.. :lol: :lol: ..
as for the hoovers hmmm sounds like i will be looking into a new one then i like the sound of the dyson animal :) at the moment we have a upright baglass vax it seems very good but i wouldnt say it removes all dog/cat hair so its been great reading these posts on hoovers :)..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm another Dyson Animal fan! We've not had this one long, but the Dyson we had before lasted a good 8 years and saw us through many animals, children and home improvements! So I'm hoping for the same kind of service from this one!! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's a Dyson Animal for us too! It's working overtime at the minute with 3 Labs all moulting at the same time, I'd be lost without it. Another good thing about it is that you can empty it everytime you hoover if you like so "doggy" smells don't build up in a bag (like our old Vax).
Clare

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies, what a great help! It's not just me who's a big fan of good hoovers then! (Sad hey!)

I'll definately be checking out your suggestions, this Dyson animal sounds very promising. :wink:

Thanks again,

Julie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Freak out!

Dyson animal again.

I half expect Barney to be naked after I look at the amount of hair that has collected in the perspex cylinder!

...oh, and I got mine cheaper at the store that rhymes with 'Ruby Murrays' as the shop assistants were rude to my friend!

As there was no one with the hoovers but a group of 5 assistants loitering with intent by the cookers, my friend asked if any of them would help with the hoovers.

She was told in no uncertain terms that they were cooker assistants
[/b]NOT hoover assistants, and as my friend wandered back, my daughter heard them calling my friend a freak

The management then knocked off £10 off the price as way of making up for the humiliation.

So...handy hint...go and ask the cooker assistants about the hoovers and you may nab yourself a bargain!

Cheers

John
www.marsupialelvis.com

·
Registered
244 Posts
Score! I had to laugh at the Currys story. We have a local Dixons (part of the same company) which is like hell on earth. Apparently 'Dixons/Currys Rage' is now a recognized phenomenon, brought on by repeated attempts to communicate with the shop assistants. My husband was trying to get a network cable in there, only to be met by blank looks and shaking heads and 'No, it doesn't exist'. My husband then spots exactly what he wants - behind the assistant's head. Points it out. Assistant slowly turns, looks, turns back, bewildered. 'It doesn't exist.' :lol:

So you can see why we are getting our Dyson Animal from Amazon!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i must be doing something wrong i think my dyson animal is hopeless ! for stairs i have to get on my hands and knees with a wet cloth ! The best way i have found to keep hair down is my retractable brush and use it every week on Lola.Sorry if this causes confusion :(

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I have to agree with you lolasmum, we brought a dyson animal and to put it bluntly it was crap! within 3 weeks it broke, we were offered another one but i said no way and got a electrolux glider upright. Does not loose suction even when full (i should know opps!) and does every thing the dyson does for half the price! Brilliant hoover and has never let me down. :D

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
we have a Hoover Pets 1600 and it's been great fro picking up short black lab hairs and longer black cat hairs.Had it for about 3 years and no problems (touch wood!)

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

1 - 20 of 37 Posts