Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Dog Fouling Act 1996

(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (4) below, this Act applies to any land which is open to the air and to which the public are entitled or permitted to have access (with or without payment).

(2) This Act does not apply to land comprised in or running alongside a highway which comprises a carriageway unless the driving of motor vehicles on the carriageway is subject, otherwise than temporarily, to a speed limit of 40 miles per hour or less.
(3) This Act does not apply to land of any of the following descriptions, namely—(a) land used for agriculture or for woodlands;

(b) land which is predominantly marshland, moor or heath; and

(c) common land to which the public are entitled or permitted to have access otherwise than by virtue of section 193(1) of the [1925 c. 20.] Law of Property Act 1925 (right of access to urban common land).

SOO if your doglet poos near a bust road with a speed limit over 40mph you don't have to pick it up.

Also on field and in woodland..

Well I never!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Oh!

I have learnt new stuff there!! People I've frowned upon in the past have been ok!!!!

I have to pick up if I know that kids or people often play or walk where she's gone regardless of speed limits but I won't feel so bad or guilty if I've 'lost' it in future!

Thanks Nat!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Seems like most of the visitors to my neck of the woods are already well aware of this fact :roll:

We have no pavements near us, very rural single track road and yet cars can do the national speed limit of 60mph. Stepping back onto the grass verge and into someone else's dog's poo just to avoid being mown down by a boy racer really does put the tin hat on it!

I always pick up my own dogs' mess wherever we are just in case and I wish others would be as considerate.

Patrick

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Very interesting - BUT - does the act cover if your dog is up to their neck in water - halfway out in a very choppy sea? 8O

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Well, I won`t feel so guilty when CJ goes right into nettles for a poo in the woods now, I always try to pick it up no matter where we are, I wouldn`t want to step in dog poo when I`m out so don`t see why other people should step in my dogs.

Personally I don`t think some people give a stuff one way or the other, strangely I fond its the elderly who seem more likely to leave it although some do walk so far ahead of their dog/s they don`t know if they are pooing or not :roll:

Sue, I think they might make an allowance for a dog thats able to poo while neck high in the sea, damn clever dog I reckon :lol:

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
sue51 said:
Very interesting - BUT - does the act cover if your dog is up to their neck in water - halfway out in a very choppy sea? 8O
:lol: :lol: :lol:

only if the waves are over than a foot in height sue, and not in windsurfing areas :wink: :wink:

sheila and zak

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I always pick it up regardless of where i am.

But have also observe several elder people watching theirs dogs pooping in the local park an walking away and leaving it, when i have picked Alfie's they have asked why am I bothering.... :roll: 8O I point them in the direction of the sign thats no dog fouling and where all the red bins are...

P

·
0 Posts
Must admit I always tend to leave the poo that Ruby does in the woods, if it's in a place where I'm pretty sure people won't go because it's difficult for me to get to myself! If I can get to it, though, I generally pick it up because I know how irritated I feel when I see poo that someone else's dog has done and they've just left behind.

Handy to know the proper rules, though. Thanks for posting that!

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I was aware of the exemption for roads with a speed limit of 40 mph.

I don't worry if my dogs go in a nettlebed or bramble thicket down in the ditch because nobody else is going to walk there.

I always pick it up if they pop one out somewhere where it is likely to cause nuisance to other people, along footpaths and anywhere where children are likely to play.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
That's handy to know, although we always pick up unless it is in a hard to reach place. The worst culprits I have seen not picking up are indeed the elderly who seem to think they don't need to!!! :eek:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Pook said:
Must admit I always tend to leave the poo that Ruby does in the woods, if it's in a place where I'm pretty sure people won't go because it's difficult for me to get to myself! If I can get to it, though, I generally pick it up because I know how irritated I feel when I see poo that someone else's dog has done and they've just left behind.
That is pretty much what I do. I do generally pick up, wherever I am, unless it's really unlikely to affect anyone else, because I hate having to side-step pooh and I love dogs. It must be horrible for those who aren't so keen on dogs and pooh everywhere doesn't help the "keep Britain dog friendly" case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts