Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On January 30th on channel 5 they are showing a documentary about dog food. It is said to be an eye opener and controversial.
Mark it in your calendar as it is well worth viewing!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I read about this on the whichdogfood website last night. Thanks for posting tjis reminder........its not locatable on my sky listings yet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Bump on the OP's thread as a reminder.

This on air tomorrow evening - set to record as wont be able to view it immediately.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Got this on Record.

Did anyone watch 'Inside the Animal Mind' last night on BBC Two ? .. Very Interesting.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Sadly i'm sure it will just be another 'your dog is better off being fed raw' diatribe. I'm sure in some ways they are.... but convenient, quality kibbles will always do most dogs proud to 14 years of age.

I only wish a single programme aired that said 'Bakers and a few others are crap' but you know what, anything else fed in moderation alongside good quality training in 99% of cases will produce you a happy healthy pet. Because its far more realistic and likely to be taken forward more widely.

Di

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Diana said:
Sadly i'm sure it will just be another 'your dog is better off being fed raw' diatribe.
Maybe, but if it makes a few more people realise there are better foods out there (like cardboard?) than the [email protected] with a big enough advertising budget for TV, it might still be a positive thing.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It might, it might. Something I am finding amongst my training clients who feed raw is that their dogs are rapidly gaining weight. Its been one of my main concerns about it as a method of feeding. Its just too easy to not know what the dog is taking on, as none of us are nutritionists.

I do mention it to them, but because its considered such a worthy and wonderful way to feed its tricky to get it through that in a short time they are putting too much... well fat presumably, into their dogs.

Not exactly being a slim jim myself I always feel bad telling people their dogs are porky ;-)

Di

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Diana said:
Sadly i'm sure it will just be another 'your dog is better off being fed raw' diatribe. I'm sure in some ways they are.... but convenient, quality kibbles will always do most dogs proud to 14 years of age.
And did my Boogie proud for 19 years!

People need to be educated about what they are feeding - and to avoid pointless or harmful additives, sugars, colours etc.

It does no harm for the kibble producers to be on their toes too.

But pushing RAW just causes guilt where none is needed.

Tatze is happy, healthy, glossy and bouncy on her Chudley's salmon - I won't be changing any time soon! My friend's lab was on one of the expensive kibbles and always had sloppy poos. She tried him on Tatze's food (half the price) and his poos are firm. Expensive does not = best for your pooch!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I think the problem in my mind with RAW for many, is not that people are stupid or lazy, i'm sure some will do nutiritonal research to work out what they are feeding is balanced etc etc AD will notice when their dog starts getting fat, and know what to cut and how much of it etc etc.... but kibble is a bomb proof way of knowing how much you are feeding of what... and if they get fat, you just cut down the kibble ;-)

I think RAW suits thinking, research happy owners with one or two dogs. its rarely useful for the rest of us, so we just have to plod on feeding crap eh, and feeling guilty - chuckle ;-)

For me, the fact that probably every competition kennel i know, show, working, shooting, tends to feed kibble because they have multiple dogs, often multiple MULTIPLE dogs, with the occasional bit of raw as a Christmas treat, sells it to me. ;-) And infact they often, because of weight of numbers, feed the cheaper kibbles.... especially working kennels, yet the dogs work their backsides off, produce the majority of the countries puppies by way of stud work etc etc.... Its a fairly big tick :)

Allergies to kibble notwithstanding, and I fully accept there are dogs who may be allergic to some stuff in certain kibbles that might be able to be eliminated on a RAW diet, behaviour is almost all about training and breeding. The genes that go in....followed by the training that follows them. :)

Di

?

·
0 Posts
I only wish a single programme aired that said 'Bakers and a few others are crap'
Same here, but they obviously can't name names, or else law suits will be flung around. I guess this is the only way to get the message across to the masses.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a "Raw is the ONLY way" programme, because the masses will just turn off then and continue to feed their dogs crap.

I feed whatever I feel best suits my dogs, and for some reason, for two of them that isn't a purely raw diet. I have no idea why, when on paper this should be perfect for them, but two always get a very gurgly tum on a BARF type diet and then bring up bile regularly. So instead I feed one raw meal and one reasonable quality kibble (Wainwrights at the mo) meal instead. This has no undesired effects on their stomachs and it means I can keep the lean ones covered more easily and the plump ones slim. If I switch to all kibble, then I have trouble keeping enough flesh on the lean ones, so it's all a balancing act here.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Like Jules, I too feed one raw meal a day and then a kibble meal for tea and shock horror....the kibble is Royal Canin as its the only food that keeps my GSP in tip top condition. Feeding my GSP a 100% raw diet simply results in weight falling off him, parts of his coat going lighter and scurfy and a fidgety dog which I think could've been down to hunger....I was feeding nearly a kilo of meat a day before I thought enough is enough and nipped to my local pet shop for a bag of RC. These days Leo looks fantastic.

A friend is having similar trouble with her Ridgeback, she has been feeding raw for over 6 months now and cannot keep weight on her dog. I told her that I had had the same trouble with Leo and that now for a happy medium he has a kibble meal and no more problems. Her response was a very concerned "But do dogs really need the carbohydrate??? " to which I replied that some obviously do!!

I love mine to have some fresh, raw food in their diet but it does concern me that some people are actually becoming terrified of all commercial dog foods and I hope this programme puts some healthy perspective on the issue......

?

·
0 Posts
Her response was a very concerned "But do dogs really need the carbohydrate??? " to which I replied that some obviously do!!
This is most definitely what I've found too. Both myself and my sister have dogs which run up very lean if they have no carbs in their diet, no matter how much raw we put into them. She remedies this by cooking a rice, meat and veg meal every day for hers, I prefer to feed a kibble unless I'm seriously skint (because I'm a lazy cow :wink: ).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It is going to be a raw biased programme. The person who made the programme has her own natural diet business.

I so wish there would be a totally unbiased, scientific research rather than yet another "raw is best no matter what" type report. Not all dogs and/or owners can cope with raw. Poor Cassie's botty positively goes into spasm at the very thought of all that raw meat and bones.

Gemma lived a lovely long life fed on JWB and vegetables and it did her no harm. (Even the year that she had to have Bakers due to a poisoning leaving her unable to eat anything else - it was that or nothing but as soon as we were able she went back on her decent food).

I am with Di - surely these programmes could be targeted on the nasty brands such as Bakers, Pedigree Chum and supermarket own rather than lump all brands together.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Totally agree ChoccyLabbyFamily...if it is too biased one way or another I will be turning off and that is from someone who does feed half raw :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I do believe it has a raw bias, but I'm hoping that when people see why cheap dog foods are cheap, it might make them just look at quality of ingredients. Not everyone can afford the time or space to raw feed, it's one reason I weaned Tau's pups onto what I believe is a good quality kibble.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well, so far we have seen the greater majority of people turning their back on kibble to promote their own business - because they, like the kibble manufacturers are out to make money! I certainly could not afford Lilly's Kitchen even if I wanted to! Also a lot of people who have no idea of a dog in its natural state - vegan dogs, whatever next!

?

·
0 Posts
Well that was a waste of time really, wasn't it. It was just a load of people with strong opinions, trying to sell their own brands/types of food. :roll:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I haven't watched it yet but guessed as much Jules. Cassie absolutely hated Lily's kitchen - far too rich and mushy for her liking.

Surely as long as you buy a decent brand of Kibble, not the rubbishy Bakers or Beta etc, one that doesn't contain animal derivatives and one that has human grade meat products, then it should be fine.

Gemma lived a good life on JWB till she was 13.5 and it is the only one that Cass can comfortably tolerate - we can only do our best for our dogs.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I was actually pleasantly surprised, I thought it would be much more biased towards raw food, but there was a good range of views expressed. I didn't like the woman from Honey's dog food, I thought she talked complete nonsense, particularly about dogs in rescue, and how they would all have had homes if they'd been raw fed. The guy from whichdogfood was very good, pretty much summed it up by telling people it isn't rocket science, just read the ingredients.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts